18650 battery help needed please - pack separation & general assistance for novice..- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2015

18650 battery help needed please - pack separation & general assistance for novice..

Hi All,

Ive been reading up in the cheap Chinese lights for a while now trying to work my way through the minefield

I eventually bit the bullet and ordered the wife and I a couple of SS X2's for the bars and 2 & SSX6's for the head, with a battery box and separate XTAR VP4 charger from Torchy. Hope ive made the right choice!

I already have several new battery packs with Samsung 18650 cells, a 4 pack and a 6 pack with no wires as in the pictures. I think they are unprotected, though not really sure!

I intend to break the packs down and use the single cells in the charger & battery boxes though I am a little nervous about separating the cells from the packs and not really sure on how to go about it, i.e. do i remove the PCB first and which contacts to snip first! want to avoid a short! Please condsider that at this stage , i dont know which are the parelel and which are series!

I have added some photos of the packs / cells.

I am also just about to order myself a multimeter as I am keen to learn the characteristics of the batteries and chargers so I can test the ready made battery packs and chargers that will be delivered with my SS lights to ensure they are safe.

18650 battery help needed please - pack separation & general assistance for novice..-pic4.jpg18650 battery help needed please - pack separation & general assistance for novice..-pic3.jpg18650 battery help needed please - pack separation & general assistance for novice..-pic2.jpg18650 battery help needed please - pack separation & general assistance for novice..-pic1.jpgThough to be honest, I am no expert so not really sure how to go about this at the moment! Could I perhaps ask for some advice on this also?

I hope I am not asking too much, to be honest, any assistance at all would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    As you already have properly wired packs, it's IMHO better to just attach an appropriate cable to existing PCB and use them "as is"...