Which 18650 battery?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Which 18650 battery?

Ok, so I had an order for more of these at DX, but they have gone from "packaging" to "waiting on stock" to "temporary stock shortage, contact us if necessary".

Been about 3 weeks now.

So, since I really kinda need more 18650 batteries, which is the next best one they offer (preferably in the same price range)?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitedog1
    Re-read my post.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    cancel your order and buy the WOW 2600mAh protected ones....

or the 2400mAh blach (with flames) Trustfire ones from DX! (they prooved to be good, the blue ones you have on backorder ar a bit overratet in terms of capacity)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks Whitedog1, since I am often getting something from DX already, I'd like to just get the batteries from there as well, so maybe I'll try the black ones you mentioned. And they aren't too far off price wise either.

Some of the stuff in that thread you linked is WAY beyond what I'd pay, except for those WOW's.

I can say that I've had no problems with the blue ones I'm using, I just needed more.

I think I should spend some time learning about batteries so I know what I'm looking at (I don't even know what "mAh" is!).

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Definition of Ah and mAh:
    A current flow for one hour measured in amperes (amps). Abbreviated "Ah" and commonly called "amp-hour," it is widely used to rate how long it takes for a battery to discharge. For smaller batteries, a milliampere-hour (mAh) rating is used. For example, a 500 mAh battery means it will release 500 milliamps of current at a specific voltage for one hour before it is discharged.

Got this definition off the net as I am by no means a battery expert!

I use these off DX.

Slightly more expensive than the ones you ordered, and I'm not sure whether the 100mAh difference(they are rated 2600mAh) will actually make a meaningful difference.
    They have worked well for me in my P7 bin flashlights and have recharged fine too.
    Last edited by goatman; 08-24-2010 at 11:29 AM.
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

mtbr member
    The oldest 18650's I own are the blue Trustfire 2500 mAh cells. The ones I have are more than two years old and still work fine. I can't speak as to whether they are "actual" 2500 mAh though but tests done by other people ( such as the tech-geeks over on CPF ) indicate that most batteries sold tend to over-rate their amp hour rating. Still, my Blue Trustfires are charging to 4.14 volts, which is not bad for a nearly three year old cell.

I also own some of the Black/red-fire Trustfire 2400 mAh cells. I bought these because the guru's over on CPF rated them well and noted that they have a lower internal resistance, making them better in current applications > 1A. I also bought some (all red) Ultrafire 2600 mAh cells. These too were rated very well over on CPF. So far I have no complaints about any of the batteries I own.

The Wow batteries look promising. Supposedly they do have a higher internal resistance which if true would make them better in current applications that are < or = 1A. ( less than or equal to 1 amp ). One of the reviewers claims to get 15 minutes more run time before dropping below 1 amp. If true that would surely put the Wow's on my "next time" list. Hopefully by that time D/X will start selling them.

Yes, from time to time D/X runs short on batteries. While it means a longer wait, the good point to make in this is that it means D/X is getting fresh batteries. So far, I've not seen anyone sell loose cells lower than D/X, not to mention no shipping charge...a Big +.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I shortly got 2 of these WoW batteries! They are really long compared to my other unprotected samsung cells! They even wont't fit completely in my WF139 charger! I managed to put the cells in a slight angle in so that the poles just make a connection!

But they work great in my flashlights where the samsung cells tended to "rattle" around - the wow have now a good fit :-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitedog1
    cancel your order and buy the WOW 2600mAh protected ones....
    or the 2400mAh blach (with flames) Trustfire ones from DX! (they prooved to be good, the blue ones you have on backorder ar a bit overratet in terms of capacity)
    + 1 for WOW and for black-red Trustfires because of true capacity and reasonable price.

Members who have read this thread: 0