$100 for all the reliable, long-lasting, blinding light I could ever need.- Mtbr.com
    Trail Cubist

$100 for all the reliable, long-lasting, blinding light I could ever need.

Some may perceive this thread as a troll but I assure you it isn't. I'm simply posting because I'm genuinely baffled as to why some (not all) riders spend hundreds of dollars (sometimes close to a thousand or more) on lights, when with little-to-no research, I spent about $100 and am 100% satisfied?

I bought a $35 P-Rocket (around 600-700 lumens actual) torch and a $50 Thrunite TN12 (1,000 lumens actual on high) torch...plus 4 top-quality 18650 batteries, and a couple of cheap Nite-Ize holders, and I'm set. I've ridden with this setup on rough singletrack at night and it's awesome. 100% reliable after a few months of use, battery life is fine—well over an hour, which is all I need, and extra 18650 batteries are cheap and easy to carry.

Please don't interpret my post as me sticking my tongue out or flipping the bird at people spending $500 or more for lights. I'm not, really—just trying to understand how you can get 5-10x the light and value out of a $500-1,000 set of lights when what I have for $100 is already lighting up the entire forest for over an hour without a hitch?

I suppose being able to ride all night long on one battery is a plus for some people (I don't ever do that). And I suppose some people just enjoy having the ne plus ultra of lighting systems. And that's fine—not knocking anyone for it.

Just amazed that companies who sell lighting systems for $500-1,000 even stay in business.

Scott
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. —Jim311

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SWriverstone View Post
    .......Just amazed that companies who sell lighting systems for $500-1,000 even stay in business.

Scott
    Why?

Some folks are content doing their mt biking on a ~$1000 bike while others want a $6000 bike. Shimano sells lots of XTR kit though their LX line will get one out on the trail reliably and last well too. Hyundai vs. Ferrari and so on and so on.....

I'm not buying $500 lights either, but I understand the interest in having one.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    People are buying different cars, clothes, houses... It's normal!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    People buy cheap light heads from China these days. Not too many are buying torches for their primary light. $30-$40 will buy you a lot of light these days, certainly more than your torches.

mtbr member
    Because I'm a "Bike Light Nerd".

Trail Cubist
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    People buy cheap light heads from China these days. Not too many are buying torches for their primary light. $30-$40 will buy you a lot of light these days, certainly more than your torches.
    I dunno—as I said, my two torches provide MORE than enough light, enabling me to see effortlessly dozens of yards ahead down the trail at high speeds—as well as into the forest on either side. Could I have more light? I guess, but I sure don't need it.

And yes, I get that some people need/want/appreciate the Gucci of everything. Once in a while I do too...but I'm increasingly having this nagging sense that this wanting-the-Gucci-model is what's killing our planet, but I'm sure my Asian torch manufacturers are doing their share to kill the planet too. So what the hell, let's all buy a ton of expensive lights! :-)

Scott
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. —Jim311

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    Because I'm a "Bike Light Nerd".
    ^This!!

Actually not as enthusiastic as years past but still a light nerd at heart.

When I first started night riding it was with a single 110lumen NR light. Had to ride very easy trails as there was just not enough light. Over the years with my discovery of MTBR and all the knowledgeable fellow light geeks I found myself looking for the next best thing as technology advanced. I would then sell off my old lights to riders I got interested in night riding.

Long story sort of short,, I'm now one of those Gucci light owners. Most of my night rides are now solo as many friends have moved away. I ride with wolves, coyote packs, bears, mountain lions, and skunks,, so for me I want to light up as much terrain as possible with the highest quality product there is to get me home safe.

That been said, there are so many good quality company's out there now you don't need to spend anywhere near the top end prices out there to get as much light as one would need.

RAKC
    I dont have a single light that costs much. Bur I have alotta lights. Lights like lupine and ones like that who charge $500+ for lights are marketed to people that have far more money than common sense or brains. Hehe Only ones I see that the cost is justified at $500 or more is TrailLed. USA made by a light nerd who fits the bill for machine time and full quality and intelligently built. Hell Scar makes lights for a nice price that are as good or better than their equals that cost 3x as much.

Would I ever ride on just torches, hell no, but any pair of lights I have with battery pack and such is about $100 worth. But 2 torches work plenty well. No different than niterider, cygolight etc for self contained bike lights. Nothing more than torches with a handlebar mount. I like bike specific lights due to battery pack (run times without having to change batteries) and I can set my beam patterns to what I personally like.
    Last edited by tigris99; 10-31-2015 at 10:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    I dont have a single light that costs much. Bur I have alotta lights. Lights like lupine and ones like that who charge $500+ for lights are marketed to people that have far more money than common sense or brains. Only ones I see that the cost is justified at $500 or more is TrailLed. USA made by a light nerd who fits the bill for machine time and full quality and intelligently built. Hell Scar makes lights for a nice price that are as good or better than their equals that cost 3x as much.

Would I ever ride on just torches, hell no, but any pair of lights I have with battery pack and such is about $100 worth. But 2 torches work plenty well. No different than niterider, cygolight etc for self contained bike lights. Nothing more than torches with a handlebar mount. I like bike specific lights due to battery pack (run times without having to change batteries) and I can set my beam patterns to what I personally like.
    No brains or common sense here I guess LOL as I'm a lupine owner.

RAKC
    If the shoe fits

Glad you saw the humor in that lol. Not making fun of past lupines so much as the new stuff. I can't help but poke fun at a company (and riders that created the market for it) that makes their lights able to be operated from a smart phone. Or charges ludicrous amounts of money for a glorified flashlight. After designing and machining my own light head so I know the efforts involved without fancy cnc, lathes or anything and the costs (yeap even paid for custom driver), $500 for a "production light" is insane.

Then too I laugh at people who buy the lightest weight bikes and components to beat the crap outta it, then complain when something fails. Oh and guys who are all "Strava".

Im a "right tool for the job" not " gotta be cool and flashy" person

Trail Cubist
    Maybe I've gotten lucky with my torches? They've been bombproof reliable. I do hear about reliability issues, but I just did some research and bought the torches that got the highest number of rave reviews—pretty easy.

I can definitely see where longer battery life and controllable beam patterns might be nice. But my one-torch-on-the-bars and one-torch-on-my-helmet system seems fine (and I always carry at least a couple extra topped-off batteries).

Scott

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I saw a couple posts over on DIY and will check you out there to see how your build is or has come. I would love to have had the resources to build my own. Cant imagine the satisfaction of riding with something you built yourself.

RAKC
    I just finished it a few days ago. Its a chore but honestly doesn't require alot of money. I did it with a $80 drill press off amazon, $40 2 axis milling vise, drill bits, and some other milling bits (Chinese stuff, but stocked in amazon warehouses) off amazon. It isn't pro level finish, but damn it works awesome lol.

At Scott, nothing wrong with dual torches at all, compared to the odd things people used to ride with....torches are crazy bright. Its just a preference thing. Torches among all else are simple and straight to the point. Do their job well, and really seem to fail less often than bike lights.

I like turtles
    Agree to some degree. You can certainly night ride for $100 and have better than flashlights strapped to your bar and helmet. I think you run the risk of reliability on some of the more budg-o setups. No need in my book to spend huge money on lights...or cars...or...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    ^ I agree, no need to spend bags of cash, you can have deacent results even for ~60$.
    Only one of my flashlights is above 150$ mark, other 30-40 are well under 100$ :P

I like turtles
    The majority of folks that I ride with/see riding are using SSX2s, 808 clones, etc. and are all perfectly happy, can see well, etc. with their sub-$100 setups. Some have had battery issues which we all know is the weak spot on these set ups. None have had light-head failures. I went a little better with Gemini setups but even that was only $275 for a bullet-proof setup.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Some may perceive this thread as a troll but I assure you it isn't. I'm simply posting because I'm genuinely baffled as to why some (not all) riders spend hundreds of dollars (sometimes close to a thousand or more) on lights, when with little-to-no research, I spent about $100 and am 100% satisfied?

I bought a $35 P-Rocket (around 600-700 lumens actual) torch and a $50 Thrunite TN12 (1,000 lumens actual on high) torch...plus 4 top-quality 18650 batteries, and a couple of cheap Nite-Ize holders, and I'm set. I've ridden with this setup on rough singletrack at night and it's awesome. 100% reliable after a few months of use, battery life is fine—well over an hour, which is all I need, and extra 18650 batteries are cheap and easy to carry....
    If it works for you it's what you use. Many years ago just before bike lights began to switch over to LED technology it was torch manufacturers ( flashlights ) that were very quick to jump the new tech. Right after I bought my first LED bike lights ( DiNotte 200L's ) I bought my first 3-mode LED torch using the ( then just released ) P7 600 lumen emitter. Not long after, I purchased my first Ultrafire 501-B drop-in torch which fit on my helmet and had the ability to upgrade the emitter by just replacing the drop-in. Over the many years that I've been a night riding affectionate I've purchased other torches with the more recent upgraded emitters. That said when the Chinese began to flood the market with cheap LED bike lights I quickly saw that many of these were better than torches and were roughly about the same cost.

Yes, there are times when I can plan rides and only use torches. Usually it's when I start a ride in the day and only plan to finish as the sun goes down. Otherwise I use a dedicated light set. Nowadays I'm not such a weight weenie and the bike lamps I use are really not that heavy anyway.

It needs to be pointed out though that there is a MAJOR difference in the amount a light that a good dedicated bike lamp set can provide vs. a typical $35 torch. Not to mention that bike lamps usually have better User interfaces than torches. Single emitter lamps ( or torches ) have a limited beam pattern and limited output. Depending on the terrain you usually ride a torch set-up might not be the best ( or more safer ) thing to use. There is a big difference in how well a duel or multi-emitter lamp can light up a trail vs. a single emitter torch or lamp. While I can ride safely with torches I much prefer a good multi-emitter lamp set. It's more about the beam pattern though than about the output, at least for me. If you haven't tried using a lamp with two or more emitters don't knock the idea before trying it.

Now as to the issue of money spent on bike lights: Yeah, I spend way more money on lights than I should I suppose but that's only because for me it's not just about having a good light to ride with it's also a hobby. At least as hobby's go it really isn't that expensive if you only spend $40 for something new every now and then. That's not much for the joy of a new toy even if it turns out you only use it half a dozen times or so.
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 11-01-2015 at 06:36 PM.

EAT MORE GRIME
    ..but I'm increasingly having this nagging sense that this wanting-the-Gucci-model is what's killing our planet,

quite off topic

but what is killing our planet is

having kids
    having pets

those two above create the greatest carbon footprint possible and generate
    the most waste and pollution of anything else you can come up with donchaknow