XPG Now Listed On Cutter Site- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

XPG Now Listed On Cutter Site

Cree Xlamp XPG Led
    The Cree XPG is releasing shortly and is being offered here on a pre order basis. We expect delivery into our store by September 25th 2009

Price: 5.95 (6.55 Inc. Tax)
    5.03 USD 3.50 EUR 3.08 GBP

Talk about a tease............................... Price looks really good though.

mtbr member
    second in line,

No cuts

mtbr member
    I really want a triple XP-G. Please let me know when those are ready to ship.

Days are getting shorter and nights longer up here in the Northern Hemi. I pity the folks coming up the trail!

Bandolero

Changes in Society

It would be nice to have the Troutie kit with these as an option.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    oooh, what to build, what to build........

mtbr member
    Mr WeLight, I would like to pr-order a quad will that be made possible?

mtbr member
    same question... but preorder some triples

A waste of time it is is
    @ yetti and Tamen, I am sure when they get things sorted on the site they will be, saw these mcpcb on Friday night

triple http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail....=cut936&cat=51 which will go with this
    http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut904

quad http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail....=cut935&cat=51 which will mate with this http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut882

Just waiting to hear back from an email I sent Cutter to see if they sell the matching connectors then I'll be building a double quad and a triple out of these http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...=cheap+housing

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Guys
    PCB loaded board options will be up shortly
    Cheers
    WeLight

Cutter Electronics Pty Ltd www.cutter.com.au

mtbr member
    I got my preorder in and there are non left for anyone else

A waste of time it is is
    does anyone have a link to the relevant binning data, I'm a little confused by the codes of the three variants on the cutter site?

Yes I get that the R4 will be brighter, more interested in cool / warm tint info.

cheers

Stuart

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Just completed my pre-order, looking forward to what guys will be building, let the games begin.

Im thinking Double Quad run off a HIPflex, with plenty of Heatsinking, Maybe, Spose we have bout a month to work all that out

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26
    does anyone have a link to the relevant binning data, I'm a little confused by the codes of the three variants on the cutter site?

Yes I get that the R4 will be brighter, more interested in cool / warm tint info.

cheers

Stuart
    Double that request, I canna' find the right binning data.

I've been quite happy with my sweet dual MCE/Ledil Iris for the summer nights, so I have mixed feelings about building a new one - what if it is only 'really good' and not 'complete perfection'?

Decisions, decisions....

Ok, ok. If I do it I want a night cycling experience approaching sustained orgasm cause this will be 'spensive...

I want at least 8 XPG's out the front, plus one on either side for lighting up the turns (I'm not a fan of helmet mounts ), plus two out the back for stopping traffic ...let's see, 12 x $5.06 = $60.72, plus additional hipflex driver @ $40; plus big frikken 37v lipo battery from batteryspace @ $459.95; at least 32 sq. ft of finned aluminum for heat dissipation @ $150.00; ...new bodies and mounts, but those are cheap...then finally a good divorce lawyer @ $300 / hour for when my wife says "It's me or the light!"

Hmmm, decisions, decisions...

Well...should I pre-order or wait till September 25?
    I know a lot about cars. I can look at a car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
    Mitch Hedberg

mtbr member
    Which one is the quad ??????????
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am expecting official release on Cree web site imminently and can then update with the datasheet. It has not been released to distribution at this point
    Cheers
    WeLight

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am expecting official release on Cree web site imminently and can then update with the datasheet. It has not been released to distribution at this point
    Please note Cree XPG will only release in Cold white at this point, typically >6000K
    Cheers
    WeLight

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Please go to
    http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut937

an click on tab
    'XPG on MCPCB'

there are pictures of each part number
    Cheers
    WeLight

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    excuse my ignorance, but what makes the XPGs so good?

Is it the small form factor, or do they have a greater light output than a MCE?

A waste of time it is is
    small, bright and better efficiency.

We Light, nice work with the site layout for these, makes it really easy to see what's what. Will you be offering mixed bin multiple mcpcb as you now do with the XP-E?

Thanks
    stuart

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hi Stuart
    Thanks for that.

Yes we can offer mixed board colour temps. Initially the problem will be that XPG is only Cool white to max 1 amp, while XPE are all colours but to 700ma.

Choices will be
    • Good heatsink and risk XPE to 1 Amp
    • Wait for Cree to requalify XPE to 1Amp(should be soon)
    • be happy with mix at 700ma, which will still be blinding and produce beautiful Colour
    Cheers
    WeLight

aka RossC
    Quote Originally Posted by rickh1
    excuse my ignorance, but what makes the XPGs so good?

Is it the small form factor, or do they have a greater light output than a MCE?
    Cut and paste from the side bar on cutter site....

The cool white XLamp XP-G provides 139 lumens and 132 lumens per Watt at 350 mA. Driven at 1 A, the XP-G produces 345 lumens, which is 37 percent brighter and 53 percent more efficient than the brightest XR-E LED. The XP-G LED has the highest lumen density of any available lighting-class LED, and it is based on the XLamp XP family package

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    thanks emu26 & obs,

from this link on the cree website it says the MCE puts out 370-430lm @ 350mah?

http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLa...gh%20Power.pdf

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    thanks emu26 & obs,

http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLa...gh%20Power.pdf
    Hi Rick
    MCE is 4 dies in a single package, XPG is a single die part. MCE is like having 4 leds in one
    Cheers
    WeLight

mtbr member
    thanks emu26 & obs,

The MC-E is a package of 4 leds in one. Each individual led thus puts out 108 lumens at 350mA...
    The XP-G puts out 139 lumens at 350mA. Almost 30% more light.

Its also easier to collimate than an MC-E as its a single die.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    just ordered triple but after recieving confirmation of order realised i've only ordered 1 led how do i sort this out (i'm crap i know)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    thanks WeLight & Znomit, I'm learning all the time.

Looks like by the time I finish my first MCE diy project it will be out of date!

mtbr member
    It's nice to hear that the XP-G will be available very soon. Unlike some of the others who undoubtedly are foaming at the mouth with anticipation, I'm going to sit back and calmly wait to see the results that are produced with the current array of optics that are offered. Like everyone else I am extremely anxious ( I mean passively interested ) to see how the Khatod optics ( triple or quad ) will work with the offered mult-led boards. ...... ........
    ..... ........... .............. OH FOR PETE'S SAKE! ARE THERE NO FREEKING BEAM SHOTS YET!? !! .

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by em182
    just ordered triple but after recieving confirmation of order realised i've only ordered 1 led how do i sort this out (i'm crap i know)
    if you go into the detail of the part
    http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut937
    there is a XPG on MCPCB option complete with pictures and part numbers to match what is in the drop down order box
    hope that is clear
    Cheers
    WeLight

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    By the time they get a 18650 tested version on DX it'll be Jan, so going to order 2 of the R2's at $18 each I think, convert 1 to a smooth reflector and try that setup out first.

Move the high power MC-E to the bars to replace the 1/2 dead P7.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ok, While we are waiting for these little puppies, im a bit of a newb, so does this sound like it will work,

Series wired 2 x 4 Series XPG Boards (4S2P) driven by a HIPflex with a 14.8v pack?

I would plan to have the HIPflex run as standard at the 1000mah (each LED run at 500mah) and only drive up to the 1400mah or 2000mah (each LED would recieve the max 1000mah) at times when needed.

Does all that sound RIGHT, or am i missing somthing there?

Obviously a lot of heat management would be needed, but as i would only plan on the Max settings using quite infrequently, does this sound do'able?

Thanks in advance

A waste of time it is is
    Close but not quite right.

Your set up will work but the Hipflex is a little different to the way I think you understand it to.

when you intitially set up your hipflex you nominate the current. You should do this at 2000mA. That's now your "High" or "Full power", each string gets 1A. Another choice to make is between which of two operating modes you want. One gives you a choice of two light levels, I think this is called Duomode. So hi would be at 1A for each string and low would be at a level less than this. The other option is to set it as 5 levels, again going from memory on the exact number of levels. High will still be 1A per string but then you have a choice levels below this depending on the number of times you click the switch.

I hope that bable makes it a little clearer for you. Basically you only set the maximium current once, choose the mode type once and from then you choose hi or lo in duomode or high and one of four lower levels if you set it up in the other mode.

A waste of time it is is
    I forgot to mention that it might be worthwhile waiting to check the exact fV of the xp-g. I vaguely remember reading a while back that it is low 3v. If it is then the 14.8v battery will be fine. If it is actually mid 3v then it might be touch and go with the battery.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas
    Cree Xlamp XPG Led
    The Cree XPG is releasing shortly and is being offered here on a pre order basis. We expect delivery into our store by September 25th 2009
    Is this date still valid?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ondisc
    Is this date still valid?
    It certainly is, I dont want to drop my foot in mouth but typically Cree are both conservative and accurate with respect to ship data
    Cheers
    WeLight

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Cree have shipped XPE in Blue and Green

Not specifically related to this thread but for those with any interest in the colour range of XP platform, Cree have just shipped us first colours in XPE, we have 100 lumen Green and 35 Lumen blues inbound
    Last edited by WeLight; 09-12-2009 at 09:34 PM.
    Cheers
    WeLight

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeLight
    Not specifically related to this thread but for those with any interest in the colour range of XP platform, Cree have just shipped us first colours in XPE, we 100 lumen Green and 35 Lumen blues inbound
    We really want the reds for tail lights...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Cool I cant wait for the reds and the red orange

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Based on information thus far, I would expect Reds to ship next week
    Cheers
    WeLight

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    When you're ordering a triple led board, do you have to update the quantity on the LED line in the shopping cart?

For example if I'm ordering R3 XPGs on a XPGMR8IAD board, when I add it to the cart I get

Cree Xlamp XPG LED 5.95 qty 1
    Cutter - XPGMR8IAD 22.00 qty 1

That almost makes it seem like you're getting a triple MPCB with only a single LED mounted.

But, if you update the qty on the LED line to "3", then the price on the MPCB line goes to 66.00, so I think that would be for 3 boards and 9 LEDs.

What's the right way to specify a 3 LEDs on the XPGMR8IAD MPCB and what should the total cost end up being?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbMacgyver
    When you're ordering a triple led board, do you have to update the quantity on the LED line in the shopping cart?

For example if I'm ordering R3 XPGs on a XPGMR8IAD board, when I add it to the cart I get

Cree Xlamp XPG LED 5.95 qty 1
    Cutter - XPGMR8IAD 22.00 qty 1

That almost makes it seem like you're getting a triple MPCB with only a single LED mounted.

But, if you update the qty on the LED line to "3", then the price on the MPCB line goes to 66.00, so I think that would be for 3 boards and 9 LEDs.

What's the right way to specify a 3 LEDs on the XPGMR8IAD MPCB and what should the total cost end up being?
    Hi Mac
    What you doing is correct, you select from the first box to nominate the led bin, the second one to nominate the board, if you nominate a triple board, the site calculates the price of the board and 3 leds mounted on it, if you look at the table of 'XPG on MCPCB' it shows that part number with an image of the loaded PCB
    Cheers
    WeLight

mtbr member
    Man I got all excited that you were posting you had the XPG's in and were going to ship soon and the reds were in

@#$%@*!
    Last edited by zen bicycle; 09-16-2009 at 09:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Will it be safe to order some XPE lenses for the XPG? It has been stated somewhere that they should be compatible. Or will there be special XPG lenses on its way?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yes XPG should work with XPE lenses without an issues
    Cheers
    WeLight

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Current Time and Date in the Land Down Under.

I remember something about the 25th of September.

Almost there..............

<iframe src="http://free.timeanddate.com/clock/i1qczhx1/n152/tt0" frameborder="0" width="314" height="18"></iframe>

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    <center><embed src="http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-countdown/show.swf?clickURL=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/&clickLABEL=MySpace Countdowns&flashLABEL=Countdown Clock Codes&skin=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-countdown/skins/m2.swf&text=XPG%20Ships&untilColor=6724095&textCol or=0&datesColor=0&year=2009&month=8&day=25&hour=12 &minute=0&second=0&x=6&y=77" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="300" height="200" name="countdown" align="middle" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /><br><small><a href="http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/">MySpace Countdowns</a></small></center>

Ok, Well thats what I expect
    Cheers
    WeLight

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Argg... WeLight, every time you post on this thread I get all excited there're in stock...

Any idea when Cree is going to publish the datasheet?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitchell13
    Argg... WeLight, every time you post on this thread I get all excited there're in stock...

Any idea when Cree is going to publish the datasheet?
    Yes even the Cree guys are puzzled on the delay of the data, I was told yesterday, approx 2-3 days
    Cheers
    WeLight

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I was getting worried about you guys.
    Last years there were those big fires that seemed to cause you problems.
    Now there is some sort of huge red dust storm tearing around Australia.
    Hope all is well....................

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas
    I was getting worried about you guys.
    Last years there were those big fires that seemed to cause you problems.
    Now there is some sort of huge red dust storm tearing around Australia.
    Hope all is well....................

cough...cough..., its ok I am still breathing..just
    Cheers
    WeLight

mtbr member
    I guess nothing will get shipped on saturday?

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    are they shipping?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    R3 are in stock, R4 are supposed to ship today, slipped a couple of days. I have several 000 inbound so hope to clear all preorders by the weekend
    Cheers
    WeLight

A waste of time it is is
    Thanks for the update.

I'll be the first to ask, when do you expect the S2 bin?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I would love to say yesterday but no immediate information on when, clearly if its in the datasheet they expect to yield commercial qty's sometime soon
    Cheers
    WeLight

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Xpg Shipped.....

Good news and Bad news

Bad news.............................................. ................ shipped 4 days late

Good News...............................

they shipped R5..........
    Cheers
    WeLight

mtbr member
    Sweeet

mtbr member
    This changes things a little.....

R5's for me, R4's for buddies

mtbr member
    This is worse than waiting for a bus, over a year and nothing to replace the R2 then R3, R4 & R5 all arive at once.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Cutter wrote:
    We are pleased to inform you that your order (ID 8059) has been updated from Some or all parts on B/O to Order Shipped on 05th October 2009 14:08.

Light freak
    Cutter wrote

We are pleased to inform you that your order (ID xxxx) has been updated from Payment Received to Order Shipped on 01st October 2009 15:56.

mtbr member
    We are pleased to inform you that your order (ID 8200) has been updated from Some or all parts on B/O to Order Shipped on 05th October 2009 14:21.

The Race is on whos will arrive first

Bandolero

Sailing Boat

Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    I think you should make it a priority to ship the troutlite orders that are from outside the UK first...

Darn taskled!
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    I think you should make it a priority to ship the troutlite orders that are from outside the UK first...

Darn taskled!

Hey up Bruce all the Kits will go out first as soon as the bits get to me .

mtbr member
    We are pleased to inform you that your order (ID 8060) has been updated from Some or all parts on B/O to Order Shipped on 05th October 2009 14:39.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb

Mine shipped on 5 /10 as well...

I feel that the Ozzys may have a unfair advantage hey I might even be in the lead...

I expect mine here tomorrow... I have the day off for the build & pics...

K

mtbr member
    My order of TWENTY FIVE of the little critters has gone from Order Shipped to Some or all Parts on Back Order??????????????????? WTF??!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Troutie told us that he bought all of them..........................

mtbr member
    Welight decided that you were being too greedy
    My order has also retuned to " on back order " yesterday

Never mind, it just gives us more time to design even better lights!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bumphumper
    Welight decided that you were being too greedy
    My order has also retuned to " on back order " yesterday

Never mind, it just gives us more time to design even better lights!
    Yeah I think you're right! I am on an electricians course at the moment and I rigged up a 50W heating element, damn it's hot! Need to completely redesign my housing!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    all orders for XPG shipped, we had some glitches on the web site notifications
    Cheers
    WeLight

mtbr member
    Phew!!!

mtbr member
    And ktronik heads to the front of the pack...XPG IS HERE!!!!!!!

I make a break for the workshop, had to side step 'salty' whom was hiding in my back yard.. (joke)

beamshots TONIGHT!

WOHOO
    Last edited by ktronik; 10-06-2009 at 06:13 PM.

May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ktronik
    beamshots TONIGHT!
    Hurry up Sun!!!

<script src="http://www.gmodules.com/ig/ifr?url=http://static.die.net/earth/gadget.xml&amp;up_clouds=1&amp;up_proj=mercator&am p;synd=open&amp;w=405&amp;h=225&amp;title=World+Su nlight+Map&amp;border=%23ffffff%7C3px%2C1px+solid+ %23999999&amp;output=js"></script>
    Last edited by roadie_scum; 10-06-2009 at 08:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Ok still not dark, but first test, blank wall test, same optic, drive level XPG (R5) vs XPE (R2):

yep you guessed it, its more floody, compared to the XPE...so if you know what the beam pattern of the16 deg triple optic (XPE) look like, well swapping to the XPG in the same system as like fitting a 20 deg optic, does not look brighter from a far, but more diffuse...but up close to the wall you can easily see that the XPG is putting out more light... only night time in the bush pics, will really show just where the light has been put...so less punch but more flood, & makes for a even nicer, smoother beam pattern (16.4 deg).

K

Vf testing & stuff later...
    Last edited by ktronik; 10-06-2009 at 07:31 PM.

A waste of time it is is
    So if I understand the theory behind this correctly then the XPG has a bigger dome than an XPE and when the bigger dome is matched with the optic that is designed to focus the light from a smaller source it ends more floody?

If this is the case then will it end up tighter if you were to use and XRE optic?

A waste of time it is is
    oops, double post

Lets RIDE!
    If this is the case then will it end up tighter if you were to use an XRE optic?
    Exactly what I've been wondering. Are we now moving into the "hunt for a spot optic" phase, like when the MC-E came out?

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

A waste of time it is is
    One of the reasons I haven't yet ordered anything JZ.

That and the fact that in the last month I've been hit with a fork rebuild, busted hanger, busted hanger, spokes and rear mech on another bike, new shifters (to go with the brand swap on the rear mech) my bike budget is gone for the next little while.

Hoping someone can find the holy grail before I'm ready to spend again

Lets RIDE!
    One of the reasons I haven't yet ordered anything JZ.
    Likewise. Plus there's this annoying unemployment issue (but I've got loads of time to ride! Great 2 hour night ride tonight :-)

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

aka RossC
    Quote Originally Posted by ktronik
    And ktronik heads to the front of the pack...XPG IS HERE!!!!!!!

I make a break for the workshop, had to side step 'salty' whom was hiding in my back yard.. (joke)

beamshots TONIGHT!

WOHOO
    You sure are quick for a little bloke! I thought I was going to be able to wrestle them off you but I had no chance!

Looking forward to the beam shots!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean breathes salty
    You sure are quick for a little bloke! I thought I was going to be able to wrestle them off you but I had no chance!

Looking forward to the beam shots!
    <script src="http://www.gmodules.com/ig/ifr?url=http://static.die.net/earth/gadget.xml&amp;up_clouds=1&amp;up_proj=mercator&am p;synd=open&amp;w=405&amp;h=225&amp;title=World+Su nlight+Map&amp;border=%23ffffff%7C3px%2C1px+solid+ %23999999&amp;output=js"></script>

you gotta be quick around here...just stepping out now to take some pics....

K

A waste of time it is is
    well?

mtbr member
    BEAMSHOTS!!!

XPG (R5) first VS XPE (R2) second

K

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    are you using the same optic?
    We can see that the xp-G shots habe a wider beam AND more light!

I think its a nice combo!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitedog1
    are you using the same optic?
    We can see that the xp-G shots habe a wider beam AND more light!

I think its a nice combo!
    Yep, Same 16.4 deg optic, same drive level, same light body, k-lite...yep 2 top pics show it best... more light & smoother beam, less center hotspot...(for this optic anyway)

K

mtbr member
    I must say on the bottom pic, its not as big of a difference as the pic would have you think...

XPG

XPE

This is more like the real difference...note the 'flaring' off the tree to the right middle...top XPG pic...Still lots of light in this area, smoothly extending out to the edge...

My camera can play tricks sometimes even when on full manual...

K

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The XP-E's with the same optic look to have better throw, so likely stuck until XP-G optimized optics are available.

mtbr member
    Well the buggers have made it to blighty

I hate you all with your beamshots nice though they are

Date Time Location Service Area Check Point Details
    Oct 7, 2009 5:00pm UNITED KINGDOM - COVENTRY PF Received and awaiting clearance for delivery.
    Oct 5, 2009 11:40pm AUSTRALIA - MELBOURNE Processed - enroute to final destination.

Oct 5, 2009 10:26pm AUSTRALIA - MELBOURNE Received and ready for processing.

Oct 5, 2009 4:45pm NUNAWADING BC Item lodged

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    damn,

They have gotten to the UK, before mine have landed in Brisbane, 2000kms away from where they left on the same day. Ill be checking courier trucks at night for the brightest headlights.........

Members who have read this thread: 0