WTB - Moderate Output Helmet-Mount Light from DIY'er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

WTB - Moderate Output Helmet-Mount Light from DIY'er

Hello fellow DIYer's,

I've been reading this DIY light database for a couple years and planning on building a simple, single Cree XML helmet light for quite a while. Unfortunately, as things are, I'll be pushing this project back at least 6-12 months due to work/time constraints.

I am hoping someone on this forum might have an old project light that they are looking to sell - perhaps to fund a future project or due to surplus. I'm looking for a low-weight, dedicated helmet-mount light similar to the Gloworm X1. I'm not really concerned with high output (i.e. anything ~600 lumens would be great). However, I'd really like something that would comfortably mount both light and battery pack on the helmet - maybe in the ~200 gram category.

I would just go ahead and pull the trigger on a Gloworm X1 or maybe even a Lupine Pico, but I would much rather support the DIY community if possible.

I realize that this post should likely be on the Classifieds section. However, I'm hoping to get more traction on this forum. I apologize if I am stepping on anyone's toes.

Cheers!

Light freak
    Hello Neskie -
    Shoot me an email to my address in my signature, I woudl love to see if I could help you out.

scar

Quote Originally Posted by Neskie View Post
    Hello fellow DIYer's,

I've been reading this DIY light database for a couple years and planning on building a simple, single Cree XML helmet light for quite a while. Unfortunately, as things are, I'll be pushing this project back at least 6-12 months due to work/time constraints.

I am hoping someone on this forum might have an old project light that they are looking to sell - perhaps to fund a future project or due to surplus. I'm looking for a low-weight, dedicated helmet-mount light similar to the Gloworm X1. I'm not really concerned with high output (i.e. anything ~600 lumens would be great). However, I'd really like something that would comfortably mount both light and battery pack on the helmet - maybe in the ~200 gram category.

I would just go ahead and pull the trigger on a Gloworm X1 or maybe even a Lupine Pico, but I would much rather support the DIY community if possible.

I realize that this post should likely be on the Classifieds section. However, I'm hoping to get more traction on this forum. I apologize if I am stepping on anyone's toes.

Cheers!

Light freak
    Just came in from the garage milling some housings for this weekends builds, and I could not stop thinking about your post. There have been alot of changes in the bike light arena and there have been alot of people come and go on this forum. There are still a few "old timers" that are still around (don't want to start mentioning names as for sure I will forget somebody and I don't want to offend anyone) but there are many new forum members. You mentioned reading the DIY light database for a couple of years. I have found that the MTBR search engine only goes back so far. Thought this would be a good place to post some history on my builds -

My first build was called the Pond Scum. I found a submersible pond light at Harbor freight that you could use to modify into a nice bike light. Halogen was where it was at Pond Scum - DIY Halogen Bike Light You can still build this light.

The I noticed some guys in a flashlight converting over to LED's and thought they would be a perfect fit for bike lights. There were a few other MTBR forum members building LED lights but it was race at that time to see who could build the light with the most LED's. I saw the possibilities of a small light that I could also mount the battery on my helmet. As a post of "jest", my first post of my Amoeba light was this - ~1000 lumens helmet mounted which consisted of three of my Amoeba lights mounted on a helmet, batteries and all. Each "pod" put out ~400 lumens at the time and weighed ~160 grams. Well, LED's have advanced and the output has increased to ~800 lumens, but the original design has proved to be a rock solid design and continues to be one of the smallest, lightest weight helmet lights (160 grams for both the light head and 2 cell battery) that I can stand behind for years.

Email me for info on my current builds

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Go with Scar for sure. I've sold a few of my project lights to friends etc., but Scar is better able to support a system for you.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html