worth the aggrivation?..- Mtbr.com
    govt kontrakt projkt mgr

worth the aggrivation?..

Anyone here mend a broken cyclometer wire?

Today I supermanned and in the process the handlebar swung around tight snapping the wire on my Cateye Enduro 8.

I know I can get a new mount from performance for 12 bucks-- but if a repair job would last? Heck I don't even know if my wire stripping tool has a guage that tiny--the two inner wires are almost infantismal (spelling?).

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You can do it if you have the skills, I once fixed one of my computers, just use small heatshrink and isolate each wire then another larger piece over the top. Keep an eye on the speedo for strange readings, 12 bucks isn't too much for piece of mind, just depends how tight you are......

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    thanks--yeah I think I'll just order from Performance, along with some other stuff.
    it looks much harder to splice together than speaker wire.

Quote Originally Posted by wilso_ac
    You can do it if you have the skills, I once fixed one of my computers, just use small heatshrink and isolate each wire then another larger piece over the top. Keep an eye on the speedo for strange readings, 12 bucks isn't too much for piece of mind, just depends how tight you are......

mtbr member
    I have repaired a couple. It's very simple, with the last one I soldered the broken wire and covered it with insulating tape. 3+ years later it is still working. Just twisting the broklen bits together and wrapping in tape also works as there is no tension on the wire.

Tim

Double-metric mtb man
    It can be done.... I didn't stick the landing on a 3' drop and bounced into a deadfall...killed the wire on my computer. I was able to get it to sorta work again, but I am not great in my soldering skills, so I spent $10 and got a replacement.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've done it. One recommendation is to offset the split points if you can afford to lose a little cable, as you really really need to keep the two sides isolated, and if your insulation doesn't work when it gets wet, spatial separation might.

Members who have read this thread: 0