Wiring question...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Wiring question...

Hey all. I've got this Nite Hawk headlamp that I've used on my helmets for night riding. In the past it worked fine as the back of my helmet was square, so the battery pack fit fine. With my new helmet, it no longer will fit.

So what I'd like to do is dump the straps, find a velcro strap that attaches it to the helmet, and run a longer wire to keep the battery pack in my Camelbak. Problem is that I don't think the stock cord will reach that far.

I have no problem cutting the wire, and soldering on a male female connector but I need to know from any electrical experts what gauge wire/connectors I should use.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Spanish biker
    Hi, You can use any type of connector, only you save the original polarity of the wires.

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

mtbr member
    what's the wattage of the lamp and voltage of the battery?

In general, wire gauge for these things is more a function of mechanical strength (and probably making customers feel good that the wire is big enough) than capacity of the wire. I'd guess that's not pulling more than 2 amps - more like 1 - you could go down to 28ga without overheating; I'd probably run 20 or 22 just because that's the wire I have in the shop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules
    what's the wattage of the lamp and voltage of the battery?

In general, wire gauge for these things is more a function of mechanical strength (and probably making customers feel good that the wire is big enough) than capacity of the wire. I'd guess that's not pulling more than 2 amps - more like 1 - you could go down to 28ga without overheating; I'd probably run 20 or 22 just because that's the wire I have in the shop.
    Thanks for the replies! I'm not sure of the lamp wattage... it says it's an "emitter" and runs on 4 - AA batteries. Wish I could give you more, but the website doesn't have any technical specs and if I DID know more, I wouldn't be here asking questions.

Here is the link to the lamp:
    http://www.nite-hawk.com/store/custo...cat=248&page=1

mtbr member
    I don't know (not an expert by any means) of a "emitter" that's over 5w, and 4AAs are 4.8 if you are using 1.2v/cell, so a little over an amp max. Most any connector can handle that, like I said, I'd probably run 20 or 22 and automotive-style sealed connectors, as I have a bunch around.

mtbr member
    Awesome... thanks for your help.

Members who have read this thread: 0