What trails do you ride - I need 8' ahead with lots of spill and 15+' more spotty- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What trails do you ride - I need 8' ahead with lots of spill and 15+' more spotty

WTF would you guys need tons of throw? I could ride A-line or Freight Train with my setup and I don't need much more than my floody 5' to 10' light and a good helmet light that is semi-spotty (Magic Shine is a little too spotty but OK in a pinch)

Discuss.
    "It looks flexy"

Dirt Deviant
    I was actually about to post up a question regarding something along the same lines....asking advice on what DIY setup would make a good bar flood. XPE with something diffused is what I was thinking.

Back on topic.......
    I have a few different lights. The Bastid 900 on my helmet, and up until recently I was running the MS 1400 on the bars.
    I really liked the little flood beams on the 1400, they are XP-E with the little diffusers.
    Sometimes I would forget to turn on the high beams on my bars and just run the 900 on high and the floods on the bars.

I recently picked up a Strykr, but because the weather is crap here now, haven't had much of a chance to use it yet.

I have done some side by side tests with the Strykr and the MS900, and the Strykr kills it.
    I really love it with the flood reflector.

Still looking to get some extra spill, so will most likely build up a little 2x or 3x XP-E setup, possibly with some kind of directional diffusers like the 1400 has.

Even approaching speeds in excess of 35mph at night I had no problems with throw with my setup, but still felt it could use a bit more spill/flood.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

Bandolero

Didacts and Narpets

A: Small animals

After you have stunned them with the dazzling beam, you can use it's uber-focus to either start a fire or grill them directly on the casing. That's why many of the DIY lights have that "ribbed" look.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    Not just tons of throw just plenty of good quality light for the trails When you reach my age the old eyes need all the help they can get in the quest to ride the trails in the dark .

so if you can illuminate that obstacle 100 yards away gives the old reflexes more time to prepare for the fall .

And beside that its fun to build ever better lights
    and when did (NEED) ever figure in mountain bike components (WANT ) trumps need always

mtbr member
    Wonder if someone elseís feels the exact opposite?

I really donít need that much flood. In fact sometimes I find that the light reflection on the trailside vegetation itís a little distracting.

When I ride with a single light, itís always a helmet light. I cannot ride with just a bar light anymore. That means that even with a narrower beam on the helmet light, the fact is that everywhere you look at is always illuminated. So maybe thatís why I donít care that much for flood.
    Throw is nice.. as much as possible. As Troutie said some of us need all the ahead warning possible

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It really doesn't matter how bright your lights are. As long as you can put your riding buds in shadow! Most ppl won't ride in front of me. I like a spot on the head and wide angle on the bars. Like Trout said "old eyes don't adapt well". I'm old and I need bright lights.

mtbr member
    One thing that I've noticed makes a huge difference is how wet it is out. Here in the Pacific NW, it rains all the time during night riding season. It snowed a couple of weeks ago and it was like riding with double the light output - very nice. I also got 1 night ride in while the trails were still dry and I could see roots and other things much better than in the mud.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bravellir

I really donít need that much flood. In fact sometimes I find that the light reflection on the trailside vegetation itís a little distracting.

When I ride with a single light, itís always a helmet light. I cannot ride with just a bar light anymore. That means that even with a narrower beam on the helmet light, the fact is that everywhere you look at is always illuminated. So maybe thatís why I donít care that much for flood.
    Throw is nice.. as much as possible. As Troutie said some of us need all the ahead warning possible
    I for one, am right with you. Floody light seems a waste in my opinion. I want to go where I am looking. The stuff along the sides is mostly irrelevant.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I ride a lot of tight single track that winds back and forth around itself and the flood allows me to see around corners.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by kan3
    I ride a lot of tight single track that winds back and forth around itself and the flood allows me to see around corners.
    That's what the helmet light is for, to see where you are looking. Make sense, eh?
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    That's what the helmet light is for, to see where you are looking. Make sense, eh?
    I get to see around corners in my peripheral before I make it there. I can focus on the trail in front of me and see future trail off the side. I don't have a true preference either way as you get to work on reaction time depending on what setup you use.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by kan3
    I get to see around corners in my peripheral before I make it there. I can focus on the trail in front of me and see future trail off the side. I don't have a true preference either way as you get to work on reaction time depending on what setup you use.
    Different strokes I guess. I like my lights for opposite purposes. Helmet as my main light for looking where I'm going and the bar light for front fill up close, peripheral vision, and redundancy. I've ridden for years with just a helmet light though.

Overall, I agree with gticlay. Our local trails are twisty rolly polly stuff so no need for super throw. I like a medium spot (~15 degree total width) for the helmet and less particular about the bar setup but generally wider than the helmet.

More specifically, the Cute-3-SS is perfect for me on the helmet. I have a few other optics to try to make a nice 2 XPG helmet (CXP, LXP, Regina) so if I can find a good pattern with any of those, I'll likely move my triple back to the bars with the Cute-3-M and be set for the season. Maybe...
    Long Live Long Rides

Just a flesh wound
    My favorite light is a dual XR-E helmet mount with 8 degree spots. For the bar I have a triple XP-G with the 16 x 43 degree pattern. I can ride with either light alone, though I would rather have the dual XR-E helmet mount if I had only one light.

I tried the triple XP-G recently with the 16.4 degree spot, but I prefer the flood for that one. I don't know what others think, but I find the actual light output of the triple to be less than I thought it would be. My helmet light with the dual XR-E setup is rated for a little over 400 lumens at 1000ma, but it seems brighter than the triple XP-G, which I am also running at 1000ma, rated at over 1,000 lumens. It must be the optics. I have the Carlco for the 3up XP-G and the CREE 8 degree with lens holder for the dual XR-E.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

I'd rather be riding!

Spill is just wasted light!

Quote Originally Posted by bravellir

I agree with bravellir.

I just rebuilt my triple XRE ledil optics achesalot bar light. Dumped the medium optics and put in ledil spots because too much light was being wasted in spill. Now the light matches up better with the double spot on my helmut. The trails I ride on in the southeast are tight and twisty with lots of rocks roots and logs. Side spill is just distracting to the purpose at hand.

More throw = faster riding .... and what Troutie said

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmacon
    I agree with bravellir.

I just rebuilt my triple XRE ledil optics achesalot bar light. Dumped the medium optics and put in ledil spots because too much light was being wasted in spill. Now the light matches up better with the double spot on my helmut. The trails I ride on in the southeast are tight and twisty with lots of rocks roots and logs. Side spill is just distracting to the purpose at hand.

More throw = faster riding .... and what Troutie said
    Is your triple XRE more spotty or floody than a MS900? The MS900 is what I've had problems with - even with 2 on the bars I just end up with two spots out there. It's OK on the helmet.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    I was under the impression that the problem with the MS900 is it's halo pattern - ring, then nothing, then bright spot. It might not be the throw that's the issue, but the bit between the spot and the beam cut off (similar to an old Cateye LED commuter light I have, PITA). The twin XP-G/ Regina I've just finished has a hot spot but also good fill, so I there doesn't seem to be as much of a compromise between spot and spill.

I'd rather be riding!
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    Is your triple XRE more spotty or floody than a MS900? The MS900 is what I've had problems with - even with 2 on the bars I just end up with two spots out there. It's OK on the helmet.
    Don't know about the MS900, but Ledil optics with XRE LEDs have always been known for their smooth beam patterns. I had mediums in because of the fear of a too spotty beam and with a single LED/Spot-Optic that would be the case. But with three of them together they all mix and it evens out the beam pattern. While the pattern is definitely a spot there is still a smooth spill from the front of the tire outward and a couple of feet off the trail to either side of the beam.

I can understand your problem if you are getting halo's or super bright centers. Some of these things can be too harsh and quiet annoying/distracting when riding.

Members who have read this thread: 0