What happens if I- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What happens if I

Put a Seoul P 4 into a 5watt Dinotte? As mentioned in an earlier post I am looking for more of spot beam with my Dinotte and it seems that none of the optics/reflectors can do this due to the wide die on the luxeon 5 that is use.

So, if I put a Seoul p4 (or even a Luxeon) in there will it:

1. blow straight away, or

2. keep running because

a. the regulation will kick in and save it or

b. It can handle the additional current

3. Just fry the emitter straight away?

Thanks

Tim

mtbr member
    Probably blow the Seoul - if you have the NiMH AA version of the DiNotte

Probably under-power the Seoul if you have the Lithium version.

The Luxeon-V has a Vf of ~6.5v. The NiMH version boost the 2AA batteries from 4.8V to Vf and control the current, if the Vf goes below Vin (4.8) then these circuits usually become uncontrolled - meaning the batteries are directly connected to the LED. Since the Seoul has a Vf of ~3.7V, you'll probably be direct driving the LED's with the battery. LED's don't "blow like light bulbs, they kind of just get dimmer and shift in colour.

The Lithium versions use a buck circuit (the battery voltage is greater the Vf), so as long as the circuit still has headroom, it should buck the voltage down the the Seoul's Vf and regulate at 700mA.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I have the AA version and that makes sense. But a follow up question, if you can answer it: If I had the Li-ion version, why would the system under power the Seoul if it is lowering the voltage to the Seoul's Vf?

Thanks

Tim

mtbr member
    The luxeon-V's are driven at 700mA, and the circuit in the DiNotte's are designed to supply a constant current regardless of voltage (within reason). Thus they will drive the Seoul's at 700mA (which are capable of 1000mA for full brightness).

I ride a Swarf
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable
    The luxeon-V's are driven at 700mA, and the circuit in the DiNotte's are designed to supply a constant current regardless of voltage (within reason). Thus they will drive the Seoul's at 700mA (which are capable of 1000mA for full brightness).
    IF the li ion controller copes with it....the seoul should still brighter than the lux 5 at 700mA. no rules saying you have to max the LED out. IF the controller copes and is a switching type, burn time should be improved too.

a few ifs though.

is there room to swap or install a suitable controller for thw aa version?
    edit you could add a resistor to get the seouls.vf pluss vr equalt to the lux vf. burn time will be back to stock though. it will be brighter still thoigh. iy will need to be at least a 2watt resistor though.
    Stu
    Last edited by Stuart B; 05-08-2007 at 09:41 AM.
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    Stuart and Itsdoable

Thanks for taking the time to respond. My current thought is to stick with what I have got while I consider changing the AA controller to suit the Seoul's 3.7V.

Tim

I ride a Swarf
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat
    Stuart and Itsdoable

Thanks for taking the time to respond. My current thought is to stick with what I have got while I consider changing the AA controller to suit the Seoul's 3.7V.

Tim
    how many AAs does it use?

Stu

mtbr member
    It uses 4 (although I broke the battery holder today after dropping it yesterday, so that is somewhat moot until I get another one).

Tim

I ride a Swarf
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat
    It uses 4 (although I broke the battery holder today after dropping it yesterday, so that is somewhat moot until I get another one).

Tim
    Bugger

One of these shoud do the job. Not sure if a buck only will suffice if full brightness at end of charge is to be maintained. for example the nflex needs an over head of 1.1 over Vf to stay in regulation.

Stu

Members who have read this thread: 0