what drivers have low voltage cutout?- Mtbr.com
    Randomhead
    Sep 2008

what drivers have low voltage cutout?

and how do they signal the low voltage condition? I think flashing would be nice, I'd hate to go dark on a downhill going 50 mph.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Taskled

mtbr member
    yep ..... www.taskled.com

(NEW UIF/UIP/UIB2 unified firmware)
    Voltage sensing with three user configurable trip points
    for discharged and nearly fully discharged and forced off (or warn only).
    Warning display via an optional 3mm or 5mm
    status LED or via the main LED.
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen
    I'd hate to go dark on a downhill going 50 mph.
    That would not be good.....

mtbr member
    I know this does not help with your question, but I built a driver which will sense the battery charge and then drops the output within a pre-set window before it goes to a complete cutoff. I did this for the very reason you stated (did not want it going out at a critical moment). This was not hard to do so I am sure some other drivers must have this feature, and it's what I would look for vs. an indicator only since if it is helmet mounted or the indicator LED is not noticed, it won't do much good (though I do like the indicator as well). It is hard to miss the light dimming down to a lower level though.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    I guess I'll go with taskled. I couldn't really figure out what indication they had in the main light to show low voltage, I think I'd rather not have an extra led. Does it just dim? It would be nice to have an energy conservation mode at some intermediate voltage.

I calculated I had 20 hours of battery with me on Saturday, that turned out to be less than 4 hours of battery which was at least an hour less than I needed. But I ran 3 lipo packs to the point where the light dimmed considerably, and when I charged them, it took almost the entire capacity of the battery to fill them. The charger went through its low battery recovery procedure. If I use a more expensive lipo, I'd like to be sure I don't damage it due to low voltage discharge.

mtbr member
    I couldn't really figure out what indication they had in the main light to show low voltage
    ........it `blinks` off periodically
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen
    I guess I'll go with taskled. I couldn't really figure out what indication they had in the main light to show low voltage, I think I'd rather not have an extra led. Does it just dim? It would be nice to have an energy conservation mode at some intermediate voltage.

I calculated I had 20 hours of battery with me on Saturday, that turned out to be less than 4 hours of battery which was at least an hour less than I needed. But I ran 3 lipo packs to the point where the light dimmed considerably, and when I charged them, it took almost the entire capacity of the battery to fill them. The charger went through its low battery recovery procedure. If I use a more expensive lipo, I'd like to be sure I don't damage it due to low voltage discharge.
    With the taskled drivers you can fit a status LED to the rear of the light, good for a bar mounted light or have the main LEDs flash for when you won't see the status led such as when on a helmet. They have three warning stages... half charged, low and cutoff.

Members who have read this thread: 0