What 1000 or More Lumens L.E.D. Lamps Should I Consider For My Build?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2016

What 1000 or More Lumens L.E.D. Lamps Should I Consider For My Build?

Dear Friends,
    I want to build a 1K lumens or more D.I.Y. headlamp but don't know how to decide what L.E.D lamp I should choose. I am not new to electronics but I am new to high output L.E.D.s

What question do I have to answer to decide?
    I know that I want the light to be able to last for at least two hours, if not more, between charges.

1000 Lumens was a guess because I used a 500 lumens flashlight and guessed from there.

I understand technical stuff better than average folks and I completed a Basic electronics course thirty years ago, yes I am a bit rusty but I am up to the task.
    Sincerely Jon
    Last edited by xjohndoe001x; 10-28-2016 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Clearity

RAKC
    Truely you can buy a better light for what it's going to cost you to make one. More lumens and longer run time. Especially when lithium batteries are the only sensible way to power new leds.

If your going to build something, it's better to build something that makes it worth your time to do. You can make a lamp that produces around 2000-3000 lumens true OTF for the same price.

There is also some serious design work involved because of heat management requires and such. There are one or 2 premade housings you can use but that's a waste, by the time your done buying everything you could ha e simply paid for a great light and been done. The only thing worth it in DIY these days is machining your own aluminum housings.

Basic electronics course doesn't begin to cover how these new LED systems function. Thankfully drivers already exist that aren't terribly expensive to do custom builds. So you pretty much just solder on the wires for led and switches then done there.

I suggest searching on the other forums out there that specialize in portable LED lights. That will get you up to speed on how the LED systems function. Then research all the different bike light housing designs out there. So you can understand what's needed in the design for machining an aluminum housing.

Or you can start simpler, buy a light set up, do the research on how the systems work and what improvements can be made. Then make the improvements and see how it performs.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Truely you can buy a better light for what it's going to cost you to make one. More lumens and longer run time. Especially when lithium batteries are the only sensible way to power new leds.
    Please send links to some of those Headlamps.

RAKC
    There is hundreds of them.

Here's one company:

www.ituolights.com

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk