Water and 18650 batteries- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Water and 18650 batteries

Hi,
    i was wondering if anyone who uses protected 18650 batteries has got them wet and if they have had any problems with them?

why am i asking.....
    If using something like turboferrets holder then the batteries are open to the elements (unless you stick it inside some sort of waterproof case/bag).
    I didn't think this was an issue with unprotected batteries as the chances of water shorting from one end of the cell to the other is pretty small. But with the protected cells if the circuit board gets wet then that could be a problem.

The batteries i got from DX have a plastic cover on them but it doesn't look very water tight at each end.

Thanks

mtbr member
    the pcb on a battery space battery pack fried in teh wet. suggest you pot the ends in slilcone

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks heatstroke,
    I was thinking about carefully potting the ends while leaving the contacts exposed for the putting in the battery holder and charger

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I once tried to let li-ion cells explode in a bowl filled with water. First I used fresh water, nothing happened, so we added loads of salt. But still nothing happened, the resistance was still to big. A battery housing doesn't have to be 100% waterproof, but I wouldn't put them in the outside without any protection. I don't know how well the Turboferret holder grips the cells, but it would be a pity when you crash you'd have to search for your cells on the forest ground. Just put it in something like a camera bag.

mtbr member
    I have never though that potting batteries was a good idea, because doing so could block the vents that are placed on the end of the cell (usually the + terminal) where gasses are allowed to escape when there is a problem, which should prevent a 'splosion.

https://www.egston.com/img/ps/ps_facts_liio_4_big.jpg

Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by artttt
    Hi,

I didn't think this was an issue with unprotected batteries as the chances of water shorting from one end of the cell to the other is pretty small.

Thanks
    Nope, chances are quite good it WILL cause issues. From corrosion of connections to shorting.

mtbr member
    Which is the cause of our PCB failure - this happened within an hour of getting caught in the rain.

2 cells failed weeks later and there was significant staining on the +ve contacts

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Put them inside a balloon, and zip tie the wire. You'll probably need an extra set of hands for the "installation".

Members who have read this thread: 0