want to dim a 35w irc but unsure of the potting- Mtbr.com

Nov 2005

want to dim a 35w irc but unsure of the potting

I have a twin mr11 halogen set up running a 10w + 20w bulbs at 14.8v with on off options only and p7 helmet light. i want to get rid of these and change to a 35w philips masterline bulb , but this kinda of wattage is overkill for the most part.

reading the forums i could dim this using a potentiometer but i aint got a clue what potting i need. I am currently looking a one with built in twist switch

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=2208

Lets RIDE!
    I don't know how to dim halogen lights with a potentiometer. But these LightBrain controllers are designed to give multi-level dimming for halogen bulbs. I have the "twin plus" model wired up to my old dual-halogen CygoLight, and it works great.

I see that their on-line ordering site is gone, but you might be able to reach them through the contact e-mail near the bottom of the linked page.

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    To dim a halogen you really need a PWM controller.

To dim a halogen with just a pot in series with the bulb requires a pot with the same or greater wattage as the bulb runs at. A pot capable of 35W is quite large. Your run time is not increased much as the resistance of the pot generates heat.

Nov 2005
    ive been looking up this pwm you guys mention and it dont look as simple as i thought, not got the skills to build one of the diy versions and the pre built ones are half the price of a p7 torch, unless there are no other ideas i guess im going to have to scupper diming idea and buy some more p7's.

is it possible to have a switch module with resistors / transistors (not sure difference) where switch one is at 30% / off, 2 70%/off and three 100%/off or some sorts?

Members who have read this thread: 0