Wanna make a 10-12 ah eneloop pack for my ds-500!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Wanna make a 10-12 ah eneloop pack for my ds-500!

I am trying to figure out how to do this and need some hand holding. I would like to use 5 or 6 sets of 7 in a series, but I am guessing that you can only do even numbers in a series?

1) What battery holders should I use? I want very durable ones, not brittle plastic.

2) I need a water tight case to jam it all in. Any suggestions? Batteries need to be removable for charging. I intend to charge them individually.

3) How do I tie all the battery holders, 5-6 of them, together? What specific way must I wire them?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Well.....

You can do 7 cells in series. 5-or 6 sets of 7 series cells would get you to the 10 or 12Ah value you are looking for. 35 or 42 cells? That's gonna be a huge PITA to deal with IMO.

AFAIK there are no 7 cell series holders. You could use 8 cell holders and just replace 1 cell with a dummy (wood dowel with a wire from one end to the other). Something like this...

http://www.memoryprotectiondevices.c...-datasheet.pdf

Digikey sells them as p/n BH28AAW-ND. I use holders for 18650 LiIon cells from this company and they are good quality.

Then connect 5 or 6 of them in parallel. Then try find a Pelican case or similar to hold it all.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    So, how do you wire them all up?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    When you get the holders, just solder all the red wires together and then all the black wires together. Red will be the positive and black will be the negative to go to your light. For using holders this is the easiest, though not the best way to do parallel series wiring. Since it sounds like you have no electrical experience, I'm going to pass on trying to explain how to "cross=connect" all the cells.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

RAKC
    Ok I just searched what he's wanting to do.

A hole lot of AAA or AA batteries basically.

Be a lot easier just to use a standard 4 cell 18650 pack than trying to use a bunch of rechargeable AAs (or AAAs).

By the time your said and done your not better off and probably cost you more in the end.

Even making your own 4 cell 18650 pack it'll be cheaper, smaller, lighter than what you want to do.

I'm just afraid your not seeing exactly how big this pack is going to end up and the costs/work involved vs just making yourself or buying an 18650 pack.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Because I like NIMH eneloops better! Really, they just need to make bigger eneloops.

RAKC
    Well I'm just pointing out overall a regular Li-Ion pack would be cheaper/simpler and not weigh 2lbs and be the size of a water bottle.

NiMH cells arent used for these kind of lights just because of the poor performance in these applications and "bang for buck" is better in Li-Ion.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk