Vistalight housings with modern Bulbs?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Vistalight housings with modern Bulbs?

Hello all,

I have an old set of Vistalights and I have a 10 watt lamp and 5 watt lamp. My pack is old so its capacity is diminished and I plan to use either a 2s1p or 3s1p Lipo pack from my R/C airplanes. Anyhow, I was curious if there are any options on swapping the bulbs out for something more up to date like LED or HID and using the housings. Are there any options out there? I see mentions of an MCE bulb but have no idea what that is. If my best bet is to just stay Halogen then where can I get higher wattage bulbs.

Best Regards,

Marc

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    would be interested in anyones suggestions as i have an old 5w kickin about.

iv pull the head apart but i think it would be a lot of work geting something like an mce to work well. have seen drop in mr11 leds but dont know how good they are. maybe if they hav similar output to the standard hal' then it may just be worth it to get longer run times.

M

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13725

this is just one of the many examples

M

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Modifying the Vistalite housing would prove to be difficult.
    HID would not fit in the housing bulb is too long, plus it requires a ballast.
    High power LED needs a heat sink and there isn't really any good way to heat sink that housing. You could run some low power LEDs with a micropuck tucked in the housing. But then you would not have as much light as the halogen currently make.
    Jenson has a large selection of MR11 bulbs.

Get 6 volt bulbs and run them with 7.2 volt batteries. You will have all the light you need.
    HID would not fit in the housing bulb is too long, plus it requires a ballast.
    When upgrading go LED. HID may be done it appears.
    Easiest to purpose build you housing.
    Troutie has 2 new housings out. It is a 3 up XPE. Two of those lights and you won't ever need more light.
    PM him and see if he has any available right now.

mtbr member
    Take a look at my Vista light modification - link in my signature block below.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    neilt:

cheers for that mate. how is the heat it there? you didnt say anything about mounting the star on any kind of sink.

M

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldBoy82
    neilt:

cheers for that mate. how is the heat it there? you didnt say anything about mounting the star on any kind of sink.

M
    I glued the stars to the internal casting webs using Arctic Silver adhesive. Although there's not a lot of contact area, the LEDs are running at a fairly low 500mA, so I don't have any real concerns. But I guess there is some risk of heat damage. I'm sure it would be easy enough to provide a better heat path if one wanted.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Resurrecting an old thread here, but I am also resurrecting my Vistalite Nightstick set.

I have an old Vistalite Nightstick light set that still works well, but I was getting frustrated with the short burn time of my batteries on the 15W and 20W halogen. I did some hunting and bought a couple different MR11 LED bulbs and found one that works reasonably well. It is listed as the "Brightest MR11 12V 10 SMD LED Bulb Wide Angle
    " from LED Wholesalers on Amaxon.com. The link (as long as it lasts) is Amazon.com: Brightest MR11 12 Volt AC DC 10 5050 SMD LED Bulb Wide Angle 160 Lumen 2.1 Watt, white, 1113WH: Home & Garden and a picture from the seller's Amazon listing is below. Right now it is selling for $6.75 USD which is an acceptable price for experimenting.

Now, this is a 12V bulb, but turned on with just the 7.2V battery and was bright enough to serve as a commuter light where the object is to be seen and see a few of the features on the ground. It wasn't bright enough to do any trail riding though as just a 7.2V system. However, I did some experimenting and made a custom cable so I could put two nightstick batteries in series and made a 14.4V system. This really brightened up the LED bulb so its output was on par with my aged halogen and much whiter. It was a warm light. However, the housing did not heat up at all with this option.

I had it run for 9 hours straight with a single battery. It could have gone much longer, but I ran out of time to keep monitoring it, so I turned it off. I also had the bulb run for 1 hour at 14.4V (two batteries) and it didn't heat up, so I see this as an inexpensive way to turn the Vistalite into an LED system.

One thing to note though is that the bulb does not have a lens so it is not water proof/resistant as far as I can tell. The surface mount LED's and the PCB sit where the lens of the MR11 bulb would be. However, I am going to do some more experimenting and put some of the liquid tape around the PCB and see if that will help seal the bulb without causing it to be insulated.

I just thought that I would post this in case someone is looking at maintaining their Vistalite system.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Cool cheap mod. My buddy bought some MR11's for his outdoor lighting (to save on energy) and they are really bright. You can also get them cheap at dealextreme (if you don't mind waiting):

mr11 - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I think that 2 watts of "5050 SMD LEDs" will emit less lumens than 2 watts of Cree LEDs.
    Here is an example:
    2W MR11 CREE Q2 LED Bulb Cool White, 2 Year Warranty | eBay
    CNC LED light housing for DIY projects

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zemike View Post
    I think that 2 watts of "5050 SMD LEDs" will emit less lumens than 2 watts of Cree LEDs.
    Here is an example:
    2W MR11 CREE Q2 LED Bulb Cool White, 2 Year Warranty | eBay
    I agree, the single Cree Q2 would be better and more of a spot and a better bike light but it is quite a bit more money. That one could likely be upgraded later to a better LED since it has a bit of heatsinking.

Members who have read this thread: 0