Velcro straps??- Mtbr.com

Thread: Velcro straps??

mtbr member

Velcro straps??

Hi guys,
    Anyone know where I can get some decent velcro straps from? Need 25mm wide and long enough for a helmet mount.....

Cheers, Steeve

mtbr member
    May 2005
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#hook-and-loop-straps/=21kpyn

We have had these at my work, they are pretty nice. There is probably a UK equivalent to McMaster.

I like bloody ankles
    I was recently looking for some 6" length D-ring straps and had a very hard time finding them. This place sells them from the US, and although they say 100 minimum qty I was able to order 20 with no problems.

http://www.hookandloop.com/site/depa...AP&level=14293

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hi Deesta

Do a search on "Velcro One-Wrap 25mm wide" ..... I think that's what you're after. Some bargains on a well known auction site!

If it's the right stuff for you, double sided, I've found it to be very versatile .... I got a 3m roll in a DIY store and have been using it on various bikes for various purposes. Mine was 30mm ...and it cuts nicely with sissors to provide 10mm or 15mm or 20mm strips. Has survived mud, soaking, washing etc for a couple of years. Buy more than you think you want! You'll find it useful for all sorts of bike related uses!

Sorry to waste your time if it ain't what you want! Maybe other readers will like it.

Cheers, Bob.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    We use Selectus at work.
    Buy large lengths as it works out cheaper and also with adhesive backing. What I do is stick the adhesive backings together and hey presto cut to length

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by smudgemtbuk
    ......... What I do is stick the adhesive backings together and hey presto cut to length
    Tried that ..... sticking the loop to the hook, back to back ..... didn't last too long in the lovely north-west UK weather, or frequent washing (OK lazy me for not taking it off the bike first!). It works OK ... but the "One-Wrap" is so much nicer.

The stuff I mentioned does not require any sticking ... the boffins have done that for us. And at 2.80 per m inc.p+p, I reckon Deesta could afford to splash out (if it's what he wants. Can be cut to any length, and any width, strap easily with sissors, it's strong too, if you allow a good overlap.

Cheers, Bob.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    hi bobs,
    that sounds better for D actually, I just use left overs at work

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies guys,
    I've tried the US based ones and one won't ship to the UK, the other does have a $100 minimum order
    Had a look @ selectus smudge, they only seem to do ribbons in pretty colours
    Ideally, I'd like the ones with the D ring on as it makes adjustments easier and there's no need to 'fix' the strap to the housing.
    I might have to buy a few of these off DX:http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12000
    and sling the rubber bits. The straps are only 20mm wide but that should suffice...

Steve

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    They do do velcro as thats were we get ours from.
    best bet email them and ask for a sample length

aka Chris
    Jun 2008
    This sort of thing? I've bought a couple of Velcro straps for helmet mounting my Troute XPE from this seller.
    The Novice's LED Light Building Blog

Lets RIDE!
    I have a 1" D-ring strap I use for my helmet light that's a little different.....it's one sided but it has both the hooks and loops mixed together for the full length of the strap. It's great because no matter what diameter you're wrapping it around there's always a good large mating surface for a secure hold. I wish I knew where I got it or what it's called I want some more, but have been unable to find them anywhere. Anyone have a clue? It's not a Velcro brand product.

The standard 1-sided D-ring velcro has just a tiny tab of hooks at one end......if the length is not just right for what you're securing it's a poor hold. The Velcro "one wrap" is OK, but I can't get it as snug as doubling back through a D-ring and giving a good pull. And it's kind of stiff.

Harpoon, that "stretch" velcro sounds interesting....might have to give that a try.

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

I like bloody ankles
    Quote Originally Posted by JimZinVT
    I have a 1" D-ring strap I use for my helmet light that's a little different.....it's one sided but it has both the hooks and loops mixed together for the full length of the strap.
    I'd love to know where you found that. I've looked high and low for such a thing but in the end settled with ordering multiple lengths of the D-ring (cinch) straps.

One thing I've found to also work well, especially with velcro used on handlebars - coat the inside of the velcro with plasti-dip, just the part that will contact your bars and mounting brackets. You can just paint it on and it dries real pliable and provides and good friction that helps keep things in place.

mtbr member
    I have found the velcro D-ring straps for about 50 cents each at Frys electronics... they come in a bunch of different lengths and colors and work perfect...

aka Chris
    Jun 2008
    Steve, have a look in Home Bargains. I've just picked up a pack of these (16mm x 40mm) for 59p. Best of all, somebody had obviously got bored with them falling out the packing and seletaped two packs into one wrapper, so I got 10 of them.
    The Novice's LED Light Building Blog

mtbr member
    REI
    http://www.rei.com/product/736097

You might need to modify them for a better fit.

Members who have read this thread: 0