Upgrading a Cannondale Headsight / Exposure Joystick?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Upgrading a Cannondale Headsight / Exposure Joystick?

Hi, sorry this is a fairly n00bish question, I've only recently discovered this forum and plan to do plenty of homework on here before building my own lights, however:

I've been given the parts to a Cannondale HeadSight by one of my customers. From what I can gather, it's basically an Exposure Joystick MaXx in two parts - a battery and a head unit. The two have been pulled apart (a thief attempted to pull the light off before realising it was attached) so I've already done a bit of soldering to attach new cord and power connectors. He gave me the charger so I've tested it - it charges fine and runs fine, has two "on" settings (high and low) and a flashing setting.

I've taken the front off and the LED says "LUMILEDS" on the emitter side and this on the other:
    TY0KW 0296914
    0307LXHLLW3C
    LUXEON

So it looks like a Luxeon LXHL-LW3C, a 3W LED. To finally get to my question (sorry): is it possible / worthwhile to simply replace the emitter? It would be pretty straightforward to unsolder the current emitter and solder in a new one in its place without changing the other electronics. I'm wondering whether this is worthwhile, if there's a more efficient or maybe brighter LED that I could replace it with, without harming the other componentry.

I'd be interested in any advice you could offer. I'm capable-ish with a soldering iron and a multimeter but I haven't yet learnt enough from this forum to do all the legwork myself, sorry!

Thanks.

Pete.

Do It Yourself
    An SSC P4 would be a quick and easy replacement to match with the stock optics. U3 bin are the brightest available I believe. This will be more than three times brighter than what you have.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Brilliant - thanks Homebrew, that's _exactly_ the sort of answer I was after!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    OK, control and "before" beamshots, according to Troutie's beamshot standard (ISO 100, 6 seconds at F4, white balance to Daylight):

...SSC P4 U-bin en route, will update once I've been soldering!

Members who have read this thread: 0