Underwater Dive light- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Underwater Dive light

Good day all some questions for the experienced light builders out there.

Mission is to build an underwater light that will be supplied by a surface power unit with option to dim.
    As i am not that experienced i have some things i need to clear up.
    1 What is the maximum lumens that can be extracted from a cree MC-E

2 The LED will be in a housing with up to 250 meters of wire up to the surface unit will there be any significant voltage drop over that length of wire.

3 What would be the best driver to use i was thinking a Hyperflex from task LED will one be enough to power the mce to its max or would more be needed.

4 Would it work having the driver mounted in the surface unit driving the LED 250 meters away will this be a problem or does the driver need to be near the LED.

5 Power supply will be 250v ac stepped down to around 24v dc, can some one tell me what supply would be needed to drive this unit.

6 I see that the mce can take 700ma per die does this mean in series i will be needing a driver capable of putting out 2400ma to get max brightness out of the mce.
    sorry my understanding on this subject is still limited.

7 I will be needing a potentiometer to be able to control the brightness any ideas?

Basically the light is driven and controlled from the surface unit by the operator.

Any input, advice, science diagrams would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I've not used the MC-E, so I'll let others comment in more detail, however, I believe the MC-E lets you wire the dies how you wish, although this may be decided by what wired star you use with regards to series or parrallel, if they were series, then you only need to supply 700mA (in your example), but you need to multiply the voltage and vice versa.

Sounds like you are building an ROV?

Do It Yourself
    1. You can get 900+ lumens from a N-bin MC-E. These are limited so buy now if you want one. You might also consider the Luminus SST-90 if you want max lumens out of a single led package.

http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut1024

2. I'm not sure what the copper loss would be for 250m however with less than 3A, it shouldn't be too bad. You can calculate based on the current, voltage, gauge cable, strands, etc.

3. You will want something like the H6Flex to drive the MC-E at max and have level adjustment.

http://www.taskled.com/compare.html

4. I would mount it close to the LED so you can have the power level switch at the light. Otherwise you would need to run control wires back up to the surface.

5. 24VDC is the max for the hipCC so you'll want to keep it under that.

6. The MC-E is configurable. But yes, 4 LEDs in series at 700mA would be 2800mA. I'm not sure what if any in this case would be the advantage to run parallel vs series. You have plenty of voltage and current to play with.

7. I'm not sure about potentiometer but the TaskLED drivers do have programmable variable brightness control that can be changed with a momentary switch.

This sounds like a fun project though and nothing really that special from a wiring diagram standpoint other than the reeeeally long battery cable. You might check on CPF or some dive forums as I'm seen some other DIY dive lights. I'm sure there are some special considerations such as waterproofing.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    6. The MC-E is configurable. But yes, 4 LEDs in series at 700mA would be 2800mA.
    Nope, it would be 700mA if wired in series :-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks i am considering the sst 50-90 or the new cree xml i will just have to get some and begin testing i think this at the end of the day will show what works and what does not.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    For a 1000ft run of copper stranded wire it looks like you'll need around 3awg or thicker to get voltage loss under 1v for 3A draw.

mtbr member
    If a buck-regulator is used. How is the current flow from DC-source to driver? Has it high spikes durring switching, or is it more average and constant ? If it is spiky, you might want to take that into consideration when choosing cable dim.
    Another thing. I've always heard that the distance between battery and driver should be short. Do one need some capacitor placed near driver/light to compensate for the large inductance/capacitance in the supply wires ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by owent

2 The LED will be in a housing with up to 250 meters of wire up to the surface unit will there be any significant voltage drop over that length of wire.
    I'm curious, why drive the light from the surface instead of using batteries and making it self contained?

mtbr member
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    owent.. being a diver myself, I'm curious what are you planning? why the 250meters of wire?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldigger
    owent.. being a diver myself, I'm curious what are you planning? why the 250meters of wire?
    If he told you, he would have to kill you. DUH

"It looks flexy"

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLee
    Nope, it would be 700mA if wired in series :-)
    DOH! What he said... Sometimes I don't know left from right.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    For commercial diving operations it is a hat light for the diver controlled by supervisor

A waste of time it is is
    Have to ask, is it the diver or the light that is controlled by the supervisor?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    If he told you, he would have to kill you. DUH
    D

Can you kill the walking dead? :

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by owent
    For commercial diving operations it is a hat light for the diver controlled by supervisor
    That makes perfect sense, Having surface support controlling his light along with his gas, leaves his hands free..plus no umbillical light crowding his wrists...

You might be better off posting in the Dive light section on candlepower forums
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...play.php?f=127

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks i do have it posted there as well so far no one seems to have done a project like this so i will be doing some experimenting shortly

Members who have read this thread: 0