Two great MS battery replacement options...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Two great MS battery replacement options...

Lucky for those in the US, they're offering a black friday discount as well. I'd certainly say farewell to the MS batteries in favor of these in a heartbeat.

Li-Ion 18650 7.4V 4400 mAh Rechargeable Battery PCB module with 20AWG Bare Leads
    http://www.batteryjunction.com/tenergy-74-4400-pcb.html

Li-Ion 18650 7.4V 6600 mAh Rechargeable Battery module with PCB
    http://www.batteryjunction.com/tenergy-74-6600-pcb.html

If anyone knows of an asia/australia distributor that these can be obtained from please post a link! Thanks.
    Draft College Republicans

mtbr member
    Interesting. I wonder if we can get replacement connectors for the light and charger. What would be a better charger than the MS one?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracerprix
    Interesting. I wonder if we can get replacement connectors for the light and charger. What would be a better charger than the MS one?
    For connectors I just purchased MS light extension cable son Deal Extreme and cut them up. They're ~$3/each.

See my thread about using a Hyperion RC charger... any RC charger capable of L-Ion would do the trick, with the added benefit of safety cutoff due to voltage, temp, shorts, and so on. A nice charger can be had for $30-50, better to have a nice minimum 10A DC power supply available as well.

Those batteries I posted are a bit pricey, but being one of the few with a PCB attached. The 6600mAh battery looks like a great DIY waterproofing project, for someone who doesn't want to build their own packs with loose cells and a PCB. I would guess these Tenergy packs will last quite a long time if cared for properly.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    here is another one I ordered a couple of days ago its the same as your first one but a little cheaper.
    http://www.all-battery.com/li-ion186...bareleads.aspx
    one nice thing about this battery is they make it when you order it its not coming off a shelf IE fresh cells
    I also have the y cable coming from deal extreme just hope it gets here soon, total investment less than $45 bucks I will just use my magicshine charger, I going to make up a bunch of these to run my old nightrider lights also. I am using this cable spliced to fit the magic shine and the new batteries I'm getting
    http://shop.willyselectronics.com/br...wg/4,8031.html
    http://shop.willyselectronics.com/br...g-/4,8009.html
    Last edited by Rakuman; 11-24-2010 at 09:54 PM.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    How long of run times should I expect from the MS900 running on High when using the second battery pack listed in the first post? Although it is more expensive, that battery pack looks like a nice option, especially if I could get say a 4 hour run time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris V.
    How long of run times should I expect from the MS900 running on High when using the second battery pack listed in the first post? Although it is more expensive, that battery pack looks like a nice option, especially if I could get say a 4 hour run time.
    I don't know the specs of the MS battery power consumption, but it would be easy to calculate if you did. Standard pack is around 4400mAh, so the additional 2200mAh will definitely increase the overall time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakuman
    here is another one I ordered a couple of days ago its the same as your first one but a little cheaper.
    https://www.all-battery.com/li-ion18...bareleads.aspx
    one nice thing about this battery is they make it when you order it its not coming off a shelf IE fresh cells
    Do these guys charge a $25 hazardous shipping fee?

My 4-cell batteryspace pack like this one just died. I dissected it and found 2 separate drivers and one bad cell, so I turned it into a 2-cell pack and waterproofed it with self-adhesive silicone tape.

I wish someone else would sell a nice waterproof battery, ideally with a Trailtech connector, like this Batteryspace waterproof one here:

https://www.batteryspace.com/li-ion1...hinacells.aspx

but as always the hazardous charge, shipping and customs nearly triple the price to Canada.
    Last edited by Ofroad'bent; 12-02-2010 at 06:33 AM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofroad'bent
    Do these guys charge a $25 hazardous shipping fee?

My 4-cell battery pack like this one just died. I dissected it and found 2 separate drivers and one bad cell, so I turned it into a 2-cell pack and waterproofed it with self-adhesive silicone tape.

I wish someone else would sell a nice waterproof battery, ideally with a Trailtech connector, like this Batteryspace waterproof one here:

http://www.batteryspace.com/li-ion18...hinacells.aspx

but as always the hazardous charge, shipping and customs nearly triple the price to Canada.
    If you haven't already, you should e-mail BatterySpace sales and ask if that specific part #, or any others you're interested in, is subject to the extra HAZMAT handling fees. That e-mail addr is on the "Contact Us" page. I did this for some individual cells I was interested in and they replied back saying those were NOT subject to additional fees. But I don't know about packs.

Their disclaimer about the HAZMAT fees is misleading, it reads like ALL LiIon products are subject.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk
    If you haven't already, you should e-mail BatterySpace sales and ask if that specific part #, or any others you're interested in, is subject to the extra HAZMAT handling fees. That e-mail addr is on the "Contact Us" page. I did this for some individual cells I was interested in and they replied back saying those were NOT subject to additional fees. But I don't know about packs.

Their disclaimer about the HAZMAT fees is misleading, it reads like ALL LiIon products are subject.
    OK, done.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Good to have choices.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    $72 replacement battery (62+ground ship)
    $50 for a charger
    $6 connectors

Um, why not just drop the extra $60 and get a JET A-51?

I understand options are always a good thing, but the MS is a SUNK cost, so don't figure that into account.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    doublepost

mtbr member
    Here's something I saw on fleBay-
    Waterproof Magicshine battery.

" Though earlier MagicShine battery were of low quality.
    As of 11/9/10 they have switched to a new supplier that is UL and CE approved and these are a much higher quality battery".

Could this one actually be semi-decent?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-WATERPROOF-Ba...item4153426c5d

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

As of 11/9/10 they have switched to a new supplier that is UL and CE approved and these are a much higher quality battery".

Just ordered one, I will report back with my results.

mtbr member

Anyone have these?

Has anyone used the new Ebay batteries?

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesterrider
    At least one guy in the NorCal forum has. There is a thread there something like "anyone had trouble with magicshine".
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have one but haven't used it yet. Came fully charged and hopefully it actually works!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesterrider
    Yup - I ordered two. both came fully charged and work fine - so far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    We have an ULTRA capacity battery for MS lights which we've been working on over the last few months.
    We started development long before the Geomangear recall with our main motivation being to provide longer runtimes for 24 hour racing, etc.
    It just so happens that Geomangear decided to initiate their recall while we were developing our new battery.

Our first batch is already sold out with the next batch expected soon.

We've spec'd the pack with good quality branded cells.
    The protection circuit caters for overcharge, over discharge, over drain, short circuit & reverse polarity
    It comes in a bottle format and its waterproof and shock-proof.
    Weighs just 400g
    Its a 9600mah 7,4v battery which is more than double the capacity of the standard MS batteries.

Thats the technical info, on the aesthetics-side, we believe we've also nailed the requirements for the near-perfect bike light battery.
    We've done away with the annoying pig-tail which just adds to the tangle of cables you have to deal with on your bike. You just plug your light into the top of the battery. This setup works really great with a splitter cable when running 2 lights.

What more can I say, except that this really is the best option for a replacement MS battery.

Magiclight
    South Africa - www.magiclight.co.za
    UK & Europe www.magiclight.co.uk

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ballistic Batteries are making high quality Magic Shine replacements.
    Ballistic specializes in RC batteries and know their stuff.
    They are having a go at the MS issue and have several battery options.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by odtexas
    Funny. You should read some of the posts about these just above yours. There is much more information they gave about these.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The biggest problem with the original MS battery was the fact that it was so fragile.
    Of all the dead batteries we've seen, the majority were as a result of them getting wet or being dropped. Its just too easy for the internal pack to fall out of its nylon pouch.
    That shrink plastic on its own just doesn't provide any form of protection.

It looks like the options from Ballistic still don't address this problem.
    I'm not questioning the quality of their cells or electronics, but I just don't think they'e been designed with MTBing in mind.
    Magiclight

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by bradjackson
    It comes in a bottle format and its waterproof and shock-proof.
    I have not had a bottle battery for 5-6 years, and I will not have one for the next 100 years.

I will not give up a bottle cage, and most of my friends will not either. Many new bikes only come with one cage, and quite a few have none, so you have eliminated that market. You really need a frame mount option.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    Funny. You should read some of the posts about these just above yours. There is much more information they gave about these.
    Guess I am just missing all these posts about Ballistic Batteries aftermarket replacements in this thread.

trail rat
    Guess I am just missing all these posts about Ballistic Batteries aftermarket replacements in this thread.
    You are right, sorry, my mistake.

I am following too many MS light / battery / recall threads and I got them confused. and someone just posted a couple minutes before in another thread about some custom built long runtime batteries he had Ballistics make for him. I am having that second cup of coffee, so I will be better soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Bradjackson,
    We do address the problem. We glue all the cells together which help prevent vibration and drop problems. We also hand solider and use copper strips to assemble cell together. We also quad shrink wrap the pack.Between all this we have a pretty darn tough pack.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    I have not had a bottle battery for 5-6 years, and I will not have one for the next 100 years.

I will not give up a bottle cage, and most of my friends will not either. Many new bikes only come with one cage, and quite a few have none, so you have eliminated that market. You really need a frame mount option.
    For sure, the bottle battery isn't everyone's cup of tea.
    But its not easy finding another place to mount a 9600mah battery, remember its double the size of the standard capacity batteries.

There's still the option of the standard battery for those not needing the long runtime of the ULTRA battery.
    Magiclight

mtbr member
    $80 for the larger capacity!? Come on, they can do much better than that. Plus the site doesn't list the cell type used or capacity. $80? really?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by partswhore
    Just ordered one, I will report back with my results.
    Two big night rides in cool temps and so far so good. Battery has great life and no problems.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
    $80 for the larger capacity!? Come on, they can do much better than that. Plus the site doesn't list the cell type used or capacity. $80? really?
    It's even worse than you think..
    All three of the battery pack pictures are the same picture.............
    Niterider doesn't give this information either.
    If you are really interested in buying a pack then drop BB an email about cell type and capacity.
    If he tells you it's a corporate secret, then come here with that breaking news, right after Niterider tells you what cells and capacity they use.

mtbr member
    It's even worse than you think..
    All three of the battery pack pictures are the same picture.............
    Niterider doesn't give this information either.
    If you are really interested in buying a pack then drop BB an email about cell type and capacity.
    If he tells you it's a corporate secret, then come here with that breaking news, right after Niterider tells you what cells and capacity they use.

I've started using LiPo R/C batteries, 5000mAH is $23.. and last plenty long. Haven't over discharged one yet, it burns for way longer than any of my commutes or night rides.

Members who have read this thread: 0