Turbocat 6v NiCd battery pack replacement?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Howell, MI
    Reputation: fsr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    190

    Turbocat 6v NiCd battery pack replacement?

    I have been more than happy with my Turbocat DS30 lights. My bottle battery is fine, but the flat pack is toast. (5 d-cell NiCd)

    Searching for an inexpensive replacement. The size and weight are not a problem. I've been happy with my run times and don't really want to change battery types.

    Do I buy separate cells and Solder together? If so from what source?

    What would you guys do?

    Mark D

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,829

    all electronics

    Build your own.

    http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...500-MAH/1.html

    Quote Originally Posted by fsr1
    I have been more than happy with my Turbocat DS30 lights. My bottle battery is fine, but the flat pack is toast. (5 d-cell NiCd)

    Searching for an inexpensive replacement. The size and weight are not a problem. I've been happy with my run times and don't really want to change battery types.

    Do I buy separate cells and Solder together? If so from what source?

    What would you guys do?

    Mark D

  3. #3
    Howell, MI
    Reputation: fsr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    190
    Thanks for the input. I just can't give Turbocat $100+.

  4. #4
    I Love my Rize
    Reputation: danoalb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    830

    No use these

    I just built a set with these and the run times are 3 times longer than the stock batteries. I built a previous set with 5000 mah Ni-cad and their run time is almost twice as long as the stock ones. The 10000 mah hydrides are way better in all aspects and they come with soldier tabs and are made for easy battery pack making. I also bought a smart charger from this site as the stock charger is wayyyyyyyyyyy to slow at 450 ma. The charger I bought charges up to 1.8 amp hrs which means I can fully charge my super set in about 5 hours. Run times should be close to 10 hours with my s25 turbocat with a 15w flood bulb and a 15w spot bulb. Stock came with a 10w flood I upgraded the flood to 15w .......... much better set up.


    Batteries......... http://www.onlybatteries.com/showite...t1=50&uid=1910

    Charger............. http://www.onlybatteries.com/showite...t1=12&uid=1041
    Last edited by danoalb; 06-25-2009 at 08:58 PM.
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

    RIGHTY on a LEFTY

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dazzat3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    161

    Adding fuel to the fire

    A DX/Turboferret Battery pack could be worth considering.

    Batteries - http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5790

    Charger(s) - http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4151

    Holder (2S1P, 7.4V) - http://www.turboferret.co.uk/2holder.php

    Holder (2S2P, 7.4V) - http://www.turboferret.co.uk/4holder.php

    Cheap, light, small and easy to build or replace!

  6. #6
    Howell, MI
    Reputation: fsr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    190
    Love the different Ideas. Especially danoalb's.

    Unfortunately I'm out of work, and have a family which means the kids come first. That also means I only have time to ride at night. See the dilemma?

    The cheapest alternative seems to be building another NiCd pack myself.

    Thanks Guys.
    Mark D

  7. #7
    Austin, TX
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    89
    I'd follow the suggestion to rebuild with same-spec NiCd D-cells, because the burn time probably matches your bar light and you already have the charger from the old battery. Just splice in the connector from the dead pack. Get the D-cells with tabs - makes the job easier.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,829

    Why???

    The OP is satisfied with the runtime of his old system. The OP is on a limited budget and did not really want to change battery types. We could all come up with really cool ideas on how to put together the "ultimate battery" but that does not answer his question.

    Quote Originally Posted by danoalb
    I just built a set with these and the run times are 3 times longer than the stock batteries. I built a previous set with 5000 mah Ni-cad and their run time is almost twice as long as the stock ones. The 10000 mah hydrides are way better in all aspects and they come with soldier tabs and are made for easy battery pack making. I also bought a smart charger from this site as the stock charger is wayyyyyyyyyyy to slow at 450 ma. The charger I bought charges up to 1.8 amp hrs which means I can fully charge my super set in about 5 hours. Run times should be close to 10 hours with my s25 turbocat with a 15w flood bulb and a 15w spot bulb. Stock came with a 10w flood I upgraded the flood to 15w .......... much better set up.


    Batteries......... http://www.onlybatteries.com/showite...t1=50&uid=1910

    Charger............. http://www.onlybatteries.com/showite...t1=12&uid=1041

  9. #9
    I Love my Rize
    Reputation: danoalb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    830

    I'll tell you why

    My super setup cost me only 40 bucks. I got the charger because I wanted faster charge times with so much power and let me tell ya there is nothing like firing up both lights ALL night long in the woods and not going dim. My stock lights were alright but but I was constantly running out of power in the woods. If I was running slow on easy terrain and only used the low beam I almost made it but now I can run in almost daylight all night with my new set up. Why wouildn't you upgrade for more than half the cost of a turbocat stock battery. I bought my 10000 nimh on sale for 8 bucks apiece so I was super stoked. You can budget the charger for the future. The only difference is a few bucks per battey between the weaker and hi mah cells so why wouldn't ya get the better one
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

    RIGHTY on a LEFTY

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,829
    He needs a 5 cell pack to get his voltage. The current price of the batteries you linked puts him near $75. The setup he is satisfied with can be done for less than $20.

    Quote Originally Posted by danoalb
    My super setup cost me only 40 bucks. I got the charger because I wanted faster charge times with so much power and let me tell ya there is nothing like firing up both lights ALL night long in the woods and not going dim. My stock lights were alright but but I was constantly running out of power in the woods. If I was running slow on easy terrain and only used the low beam I almost made it but now I can run in almost daylight all night with my new set up. Why wouildn't you upgrade for more than half the cost of a turbocat stock battery. I bought my 10000 nimh on sale for 8 bucks apiece so I was super stoked. You can budget the charger for the future. The only difference is a few bucks per battey between the weaker and hi mah cells so why wouldn't ya get the better one

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.