trustfire as cap for dyno- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

trustfire as cap for dyno

i have been working on my first diy dyno light. i talk about it in this post. still working on it, but i am getting close.

my question here is about a circuit my friend setup which was basically an adaption of his trustfire/buckpuck driven dual cree light. he essentially just wired together a bridge rectifier and dropped it inbetween his dynohub and trustfires (2 18650's). dyno charges the trustfires and they power the lights. the only thing i can see is that he should just keep the light turned on all the time as not to not overcharge the batteries, since the switch is after the batteries, on the light head.
    after spending a lot of time monkeying around with my circuit, his solution seemed pretty clean and easy.

my question is what do you guys think? is there even a danger of overcharging. seems like a good solution to both flicker and standlight. i have a few battery powered cree lights that i could adapt as dyno lights. i know this is vague, but if there is a circuit to adapt a battery light to dyno power, it would be appreciated. thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    A schematic of the circuit would be really helpful. If I'm understanding your description, then there is very much a risk of overcharging which can be very dangerous with li-ion cells.

mtbr member
    yeah, i hear what your saying. i am kinda just going based on his description, but it is basically dyno>bridge rect>batteries>buckpuck>leds (in series). not sure if that helps.

maybe a better question is: if you wanted to adapt a rechargeable battery powered light to a dyno system, how would you do it? or would you recommend against it?

Members who have read this thread: 0