Tool batteries- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tool batteries

mtbr member

Tool batteries

I recently lost my magicshine battery and was wondering if I could use a 18 volt pwer tool battery. I have access to a bunch of these and it would be a cheap way to go. I also have a older Dinotte 200l light. Do these lights have internal voltage regulars that would allow the use of a 18v 24ah tool battery.
    Thanks
    Chris

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The MS driver is a buck style driver, but I have read various places that they have a maximum V-In of 8.4V, so you don't want to put more than 7.2-8.4v in to them. A 7.4v (2series LiIon cells) pack comes off a charger at almost 8.4v hot.

I'm guessing your tool batteries are NiCd or NiMh cells? Or are you talking about newer Lithium packs?

either way - you'd have to reconfigure whatever cells you're using to a 7.4v nominal voltage configuration.

you can just order a replacement pack for $32 from here:
    Action-LED-Lights — MJ-6002 4400mAh Waterproof Battery

mtbr member
    even 12V will kill a Magichine pretty quickly - the components on the driver board are built down to the lowest possible minimum spec.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    which sucks, cause on the surface I like some of the integrated features of the MS board - the switch and status LED's.

If they were more reliable, or at least available from KD or DX, i bet we'd see a decent # of DIY builds using them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Some of the tool batteries and chargers out there now are very nice. The packs have in built thermal protection and low voltage cut out. They even use a balance charger with a temp probe. I have been contemplating using them to power lights as well. I say just retrofit a taskled.com board and go for it. Seriously the magic shine batteries are no where near the quality of a top of the line dewalt or makita. yes tool batteries are optimized for current rather than capacity but I have no doubt they can and will take a lot of abuse.

Members who have read this thread: 0