Tire doesn't come off the rim- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Tire doesn't come off the rim

Hello, I have (at least) a curious situation, the tire won't come off the rim .

The rim is WTB ST i23, 29" and the tire is Schwalbe Smart Sam performance
    Tire doesn't come off the rim-wtb-st-i23_smartsam29.jpg
    I was reading all internet relevant posts, seen quite a lot of youtube diy, but doesn't work....
    I didn't want to cut the tire off, but I keep this as last option.
    Any idea....?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I had the same issue removing WTB 2.6 29 tyres from my sonder luvmud rims. These werenít tubeless but rim tape and tyre had taken up any slack so tyre bead didnít want to move. Lots of brute force g-clamps lube (wd40) swearing sore thumbs and I eventually got the beads moved enough to get tyre leavers in a 5 min job took me best part of a couple of hours . Or take it to your LBS

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Throw it under the hot water in your bath tub. Worked for my last stuck tire!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuse6F View Post
    Throw it under the hot water in your bath tub. Worked for my last stuck tire!!!
    Super easy fix for that. Put your wheel on top of a rubberized trash can, full sized. With the rim centered on the round top of the can. Use your thumbs To push down and tire will pop right off. If that doesnít work let us know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceWeaklegs View Post
    Super easy fix for that. Put your wheel on top of a rubberized trash can, full sized. With the rim centered on the round top of the can. Use your thumbs To push down and tire will pop right off. If that doesnít work let us know.
    Hello, not sure I understood, the trash can top circle edge shall be exactly the size of the rim and the rim will be fixed on that edge ...?
    Now, I was trying similar, not on the trash can, but also the tire wall is pretty thin and soft and you cannot really grab the side to push it down...
    It is looking like the steel bead is tighten to the rim... and won't go away from the rim edge...

mtbr member
    Between Rim tape and excess sealant, mine was doing that last night. Just have to find a firm surface like the aforementioned trash can and keep at it until it breaks loose. Once you pop the bead initially the rest will come.

It doesn't have to match exactly at all. Just gives a firmer surface to push against while not putting the leverage against the entire length of the spoke.

Btw, you posted in the lighting forum.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Did tou put it under hot water as i suggested?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Ah, sorry, I didn't mean to post here, in the lighting forum.... sorry...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    "Did tou put it under hot water as i suggested?"
    Not yet, only in next weekend I will reach that bike, but I will do it, thanks

CEO Product Failure
    A few more suggestions:

1. If its sunny and hot, leave the wheel out in the sun for a few hours. This also assists when remounting & installing new tires.

2. Lay uninflated tire in grass or on carpet. Be warned if there's still sealant and lay it disc side up. Carefully walk on the tires sidewalls so as to pop the tire's bead from the rim.

3. Take it to the LBS.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by puiufly View Post
    Hello, not sure I understood, the trash can top circle edge shall be exactly the size of the rim and the rim will be fixed on that edge ...?
    Now, I was trying similar, not on the trash can, but also the tire wall is pretty thin and soft and you cannot really grab the side to push it down...
    It is looking like the steel bead is tighten to the rim... and won't go away from the rim edge...
    The top of the Rubbermaid can will be smaller than the wheel. It has to be a trash can or something round and slightly smaller than a bike wheel. In theory you can use a log out on the trail but I have never had to do that. Lay the wheel with one edge (the rim) supported by the edge of the can, the edge farthest away from you. The rest of the wheel will have the ends of the spokes on the top of the Rubbermaid. Reach over to the side of the tire away from you, with both hands, and grab the tire with your thumbs And the heels of your hands on top of it, near where the tire seats on the rim. Squeeze the tire with your opposable thumbs and heels of hands on top and your fingers on bottom, while pushing and rolling down on the tire to separate it from the rim. You will be using the top of the Rubbermaid as leverage to separate the tire from the rim. It has never not worked for me. I will try to find a you tube or make one if that isnít clear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I fought like help one day w my daughters maxxis rekon glued in place. I could see the rim flexing i was working that tire so hard.

I then tossed it under the hot water in the bathtub. Presto, tire come off like nothing.

Dont waste your time risking damage to the tire or rim. Not at least without trying the easy way first.