Time for another set of DIY lights: MR11 questions?- Mtbr.com
    I don't huck.
    Jun 2005

Time for another set of DIY lights: MR11 questions?

The last set of lights I built work great but I am looking to drop some weight in the light itself and the batt packs. I have some Li-ion batts that I can make into whatever size pack I need and that will cut weight over the AA packs I used.

I would not mind more lumens as well. I am running @ 400 lumens on high for the bars, the set I am looking to upgrade.

I have a custom machined housing that was for some high end halogen bike lights,,,all CNC, very nice, and it is MR11 IIRC. I can rig up the heat sink and all that but I am not sure what would give me the light improvement I am looking for and still keep a smallish batt pack.

I am using 2 Luxeon single emitter LEDs at 1000ma on high in two flashlight bodies right now. Both lenses are floods. The light level is not bad at all and I may build the new lights just to drop weight, but if I can get more lumens then that would be fine as well (within reason). I combine it with a 200 lumen spot on the helmet, so that gets me by and then some.

Would I need to go to a multi emitter LED to get what I need, or is there another option? A premade fit into MR11 would be nifty as well as far as reflectors or lenses.

I plan on searching a bit and seeing what others have done, but if anyone has any suggestions, they would be appreciated.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Another thought...use a single housing (it is a pair right now but I can separate) and run a triple LED kit like the ones cutter sells...or assemble my own.

I really enjoy a broad spread of light from the bars. I wonder if I get more spread with two separate housings and single optics over a triple flood?

It seems like there are some 100 lumens per LED triples now from Cree.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    At the moment I use a Cutter quad PCB and medium optic (mr11)and it is great 880 ish lumen.
    But if you can wait a few weeks 'till the XP-G comes out then you can get a quad version of the XP-G to fit an MR11 housing should be silly bright.

http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut935
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0