Taillight attempt- Mtbr.com
    ...a wiggle theres a way
    thumbs up on the aesthetics looks like it would mount perfectly to a rack, and should throw out some pretty good light.

One other thing you may consider is using a clear lens with stage gels (these gels are very robust since they have to handle really hot temps for periods of time)

-joe

mtbr member
    May 2011
    So you did manage to bend the star then.

White with a red lens works, it's just not as efficient

mtbr member
    May 2005

Taillight attempt

A roadie friend that bought one of my bar lights asked for a taillight to run off the same battery. A quad star of R5 XPGs shown here will be driven by a maxFlex. A work in progress right now, he doesn't need it until Fall. I'm not too sure how this will work out using white LEDs and a translucent red lens as opposed to using red LEDs and a transparent red lens. I put a piece of the lens material over the face of my barlight and it looked pretty good. We'll see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Taillight attempt-dscn0678.jpg  

Taillight attempt-dscn0680.jpg  

Taillight attempt-dscn0689.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by find_bruce View Post
    I have a red XPE quad from cutter. Its nuts.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by find_bruce View Post
    So you did manage to bend the star then.

Well, the first cut I made left the aluminum too thin and it broke when I bent it. I'll have to solder jumpers across the broken traces after I thermal epoxy the pieces to the mount. I left the second cut .005" thicker. It bent perfectly with only the white coating over traces cracking. The traces are intact.

Yeah, I figured that the white/red combo would lose some efficiency.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggy View Post
    thumbs up on the aesthetics looks like it would mount perfectly to a rack, and should throw out some pretty good light.

One other thing you may consider is using a clear lens with stage gels (these gels are very robust since they have to handle really hot temps for periods of time)

-joe
    The buyer wants it to mount to the rails of his saddle. I haven't figured out a design for that yet.

It definitely has some potential to be bright. The LEDs have the potential for >1500 lumens. No idea what the losses are with the red lens.

mtbr member
    I don't know what the front light is, but the difference in Vf of white XP-Gs and red XP-Es added to the need to use the same battery as the front probably offsets any loss in efficiency. Still, any lens you put over an LED is going to cut the light coming out the front, so it may be moot.

Looking good though Vanc, this should easily fall into the "OMG my eyes" category Is the maxflex going to be a new one, with the fancy flash options?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    Is the maxflex going to be a new one, with the fancy flash options?
    Yes, I was stoked about new flash modes when George announced them. The original fixed frequency and duty cycle is not as eyecatching as something a bit varied. Of course the >1500 potential lumens under the lens may be eyecatching enough in itself

Really don't expect this to need more than 350mA ever though. The main thing my friend wanted was a fair amount of side lighting hence all the angle cutting on the lens and star. The star probably would work as well left flat, but the tinkerer in me....

mtbr member
    awesome, that thing'll kick butt. I think the angled LEDs are well worth the effort. It doesn't matter how open the light at the sides is if only a small proportion of the light is going that way. Are you going to put any optics on the ones facing backwards? A couple of ellipticals would be neat, but probably not very necessary

On a side note, I'm going to rebuild my rear light as an all-in-one torch/flashlight using a miniUSB li-ion charger board (also making a front light/ torch the same way), which I'm rather excited about. Mucking about strapping batteries on in the snow is no fun!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i would rather just have one xpg with a regina and one without, that way it will be bright far away on center and flood for off angle. simple, small.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Are you going to put any optics on the ones facing backwards? A couple of ellipticals would be neat, but probably not very necessary
    Had not planned on any optics though it would be possible to fit Carclo 10415 ellipticals in there. The Red lens material is 6mm thick. I have thought about milling some "grooves" in it to see what affect there might be to the appearance.

On a side note, I'm going to rebuild my rear light as an all-in-one torch/flashlight using a miniUSB li-ion charger board (also making a front light/ torch the same way), which I'm rather excited about. Mucking about strapping batteries on in the snow is no fun!
    Sounds interesting! I presume you'll be filling us in on the details?

mtbr member
    well, if you have any ellipticals kicking around, it wouldn't hurt to try. Or you could even try one spot and an elliptical, similar to what Riken suggested. It's probably not necessary, but it seems a bit of a waste having a good proportion of the light from the 2 rear LEDs illuminating the wheel or your friend's backside.

yep, as soon as I have the bits together I'll definitely post a report. I'm just kicking myself that I didn't keep a broken bluetooth earpiece of my wife's (scavenged the lipo, but that's it) as that would have made an even smaller li-ion charger. Probably would have been dog slow charging a 2500mAh li-ion though

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    That is a pretty neat idea with the side-firing LED's - it should certainly make the bike more visible to others at night

Will

Members who have read this thread: 0