Stowing a 15000mah+ battery- Mtbr.com
    A Man Of The Truth

New question here. Stowing a 15000mah+ battery

This Fall, I wanted to replace my aging lighting system with a pair of USB powered handlebar lights, plugged into a nice high capacity battery pack. The pack would go in a water bottle-shaped storage container, and clip into a bottle cage on my frame. Nice and easy. Seemed like a great plan.

Well I got the bottle shaped storage container, and before I ordered the lights, I went to find the right battery. They come in many shapes and sizes and a great many capacities. But among the many shapes, "cylindrical" is really not one used often. So as it turns out, the largest battery I can find that would fit in this container is a 10000mah. Unfortunately that's not enough capacity, AND it only had one USB port, not the two I need.

This Lyzene storage container definitely has the physical volume to hold all the battery I need, plus space for the USB plugs. However all chargers tend to be flat and wide.

I believe a battery with 5 internal cells arranged in a pentagon, with the electronics on top, would fit easily in my case and have the 15000mah I'm seeking. But like I said, they make them all flat for some reason.

It is probably possible to get the battery pack modified/customized, but these batteries are probably going to have to be replaced every couple of years, I really want to be able to use an off-the-shelf battery.

I think the easiest solution would be to find a different size/shape of storage container that would affix to a bracket that may not be a bottle cage, but would still bolt to the frame in the same way. Sadly I've never seen anything like this. But that would make this project much easier to finish.

Also note that my bike is a Santa Cruz with the shock inside the front triangle, so I have very limited space. No room for a tall style water bottle, only the 'mini' type that are about the size of a soda can, maybe a bit larger.
    Check out my Mountain Bike Keychains on eBay

mtbr member
    May 2005
    A 5 cell pack is not so hard to make. Here is a 5 cell holder I made some years ago.

Attachment 1280051

Attachment 1280053

Attachment 1280055

This was a bit more involved since the cells are removable for charging individually.

Assembling 5P 3000mAh tabbed cells and a dual USB board into a water bottle sized container seems very easy except for waterproofing.

You might think twice about USB powered lights if efficiency is any concern. Since USB is 5V and the nominal voltage of a Li Ion battery is 3.7V there must be a voltage boost converter to get the voltage up to 5V. You will lose 5-10% of your battery power in the conversion circuitry. Then inside the light you will have a driver that has to either buck or boost the battery voltage to match that of the Vf of whatever LED configuration is used by the light. That will cost you another 5-10% in conversion loss.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

A Man Of The Truth
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    A 5 cell pack is not so hard to make. Here is a 5 cell holder I made some years ago.

Attachment 1280051

Attachment 1280053

Attachment 1280055

This was a bit more involved since the cells are removable for charging individually.

Assembling 5P 3000mAh tabbed cells and a dual USB board into a water bottle sized container seems very easy except for waterproofing.

You might think twice about USB powered lights if efficiency is any concern. Since USB is 5V and the nominal voltage of a Li Ion battery is 3.7V there must be a voltage boost converter to get the voltage up to 5V. You will lose 5-10% of your battery power in the conversion circuitry. Then inside the light you will have a driver that has to either buck or boost the battery voltage to match that of the Vf of whatever LED configuration is used by the light. That will cost you another 5-10% in conversion loss.

First off.... "UltraFire"??????? I cannot think of a WORSE name for a battery cell!!!

Second, that is great, and also that is exactly what I need. And also I have no idea how one would fabricate something like that. Also, I don't understand why there are 8,000 different battery backs you can buy out there and they are ALL in the same flat shape, no one ever thought that some different shape might make them a better fit for some specific uses.
    And I believe the battery pack I want IS a 5-cell unit. So close and yet so far.

A Man Of The Truth
    The other problem with doing a custom made battery is that I need usb ports to power the light i plan on getting. So two usb ports for drawing power and a third for doing the charging. I'd pretty much have to steal the board from the anker pack I like. But it would be hard to get that installed in a customer container.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by fellsbiker View Post
    First off.... "UltraFire"??????? I cannot think of a WORSE name for a battery cell!!!

legit ultrafire cells are 100% fine. I have 8 legit ones rocking two 4 cell flashlights at home, cells are all consistent and even

problem is ultrafire name is a big victim of counterfeits
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    May 2005

Those old Ultrafires were the legit ones from ~10-11 years ago. I bought 8 back then and 9 of them are still running though with noticeably less runtime. That brand name soon was cloned and copied by countless gyppo Chinese battery makers and I doubt that there is a good Ultrafire branded battery made any more.

Second, that is great, and also that is exactly what I need. And also I have no idea how one would fabricate something like that. Also, I don't understand why there are 8,000 different battery backs you can buy out there and they are ALL in the same flat shape, no one ever thought that some different shape might make them a better fit for some specific uses.
    And I believe the battery pack I want IS a 5-cell unit. So close and yet so far.

Soldering up 5 cells like this.....

https://liionwholesale.com/products/...=5960249081888

would be really simple. Nothing needs to be fabricated then

The other problem with doing a custom made battery is that I need usb ports to power the light i plan on getting. So two usb ports for drawing power and a third for doing the charging. I'd pretty much have to steal the board from the anker pack I like. But it would be hard to get that installed in a customer container.
    The board you want is available from a number of places. Something like....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-2A-Dual-...4383.l4275.c10

Mounting that in a waterbottle and having access to the connectors while still keeping things fairly watertight will be tough though.

NOTE! The links to the battery and board are just to illustrate the availability of the materials needed to make the battery you want. I have not purchased from either seller nor used those parts.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html