storage of the 18650 Trustfire batteries- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

storage of the 18650 Trustfire batteries

Have a question on storage of the 18650Trustfire batteries. Now that daylight savings is coming around and I wonít need my lights as much how is the best way to store my Trustfire 2500mAh batteries? Is it best to charge them up or to toss them in one of my lights and drain them?

Thanks in advance,
    tom

mtbr member
    Discharge to around 40% and store in the fridge in a sealed bag.

Don't forget to charge them every 2 months, drain to 40% and put them back in the fridge or they won't work next winter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks-

So if they normally last about 90 min then run them out about 35-40 min from a full charge? I donít have a volt meter and just want to make sure is donít do something wrong.

mtbr member
    Sounds about right.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    And remember it is better to store them with a bit too much charge then a bit too less. Because in the last case you'll kill the cells

mtbr member
    May 2007
    According to this
    http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/mountain...tery_life.html
    You shoul discharge them to 3,9V for longtime storage.

Aug 2007
    I have been looking at a lot of posts on here as I am getting ready to build my own basic light set-up, probably just with a couple torches. Anyway, I had a question simalur to Ral83178, regarding charge. When I get my batteries, should I fully charge them before ever installing them into my torch? And, can I just leave them on the charger until I am ready to use them or should I remove after they reach full charge? What if I had a charged set that was off the charger for a day or two before my ride, will they be less charged? Could I put them on a an hour or so before the ride to "top them off", or is that bad for them. Basically what is the basics for proper battery care, in all aspects? Whats a good routine to follow? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Scott A, I have the same questions. What I've found out is that you have to top the batteries off before you ride as they do seem to loose some charge if you just leave them for 2-3 days sitting out. If you did refrigerate them this process might keep them charged up without needing to top off. I haven't tried that yet.

As far as leaving them in the charger all the time I'm not sure if I would do this. Some people have indicated that the batteries aren't really "proctected" cells and they could possibly leak or catch fire. I have read the same type of situation can occur with the batteries I use for my rc helicopter batteries. Therefore, I simply do not leave the batteries on the charger indefinitely or unattended.

I don't ever leave the batteries in the flashlight as I some energizers that I left in a maglight for several months and the batteries wound up leaking for some reason and corroded the entire inside of the flashlight. This happened actually with two flashlights that I had so I never store batteries in a light for a long time.

Hope that helps and I hope someone smarter will give more answers to yours and my questions.

e

Members who have read this thread: 0