Starting my first build- Mtbr.com
    RAKC

Starting my first build

Ok got electronics figured out, Vanc helped me sort a couple issues that were confusing me, and I have materials on hand (few things for finishing like battery connectors and such for battery pack on the way).

Any pointers you experienced guys can give plan is:

Doing a 4 xm-l2 style (think a glowworm xs where emitters in a line)

Getting a driver from task and setting up as Vanc advised (3s2p pack with 2s2p emitter wiring).

Want weight as low as possible while making enough surface area that has good heat management.

Other idea was doing a 3 price design. 2 heads, 2 emitters each that sit on the rises on my bars with the driver sitting centered in its own case. Like this idea better just not sure how feasible yet.

Let me know what u guys think.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Sounds to me like you are on the right track. I am not so sure about the need for a separate case for the driver, but separating out the LEDs gives you roughly 20% more surface area - the amount of horizontal surface area remains the same, but you have doubled your vertical surface area.

RAKC
    Well thought was this. 2 small 2x heads (think yinding/duo but not quite as long) that house the emitters, be about 2" from the stem on each side. Single driver in a small finned case by itself sitting at the stem (probably under it when in use). I have grommets and such inbound so heads and driver housing are waterproofed. Then ill have a remote switch only running over to left side of bars. And separate battery pack on frame.

I actually have aluminum on hand to do that, the 4 flat build, and a big round 4 emitter that will run individual optics for each emitter. Not sure if I want to build it or not cause it'll be a huge light head and I don't like the looks of round light heads but might be fun regardless.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Keep the driver with the LEDs on one of the heads. That way you can use the thermal step-down feature of the Taskled driver.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

RAKC
    Didn't think about that lol. Probably a good idea hehe.