spray paint?- Mtbr.com

Thread: spray paint?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

spray paint?

is there any thermal spray paint that i can paint my light with that i dont have to bake. i finished my light and dont want to take it all apart to paint the casing.

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    Bake it on, it's worth it!

Ok I heard Dura-Coat works well.
    We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace -Michael Franti

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i checked out duracoat but i think i need a spray gun for that and i dont have one. what about using high temperature spray paint like they use for car manifolds and such? like this for example http://www.hightempenginepaint.com/

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    The high temp stuff, in my experience, has gone through its own curing process when it gets hot the first time. Lots of smoke comes off, and it adheres better. Even then, they don't hold up as much to abrasion or a lot of handling.

I suppose you could try it and see how it turns out (it might work great), or disassemble and use the correct product once
    We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace -Michael Franti

mtbr member
    Just use regular flat black rattle can and let it set for a few days. It scratches really easy at first, but once it completely cures it is pretty abrasion resistant.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Will regular paint stop the heat from escaping at all? Thats my main concern

mtbr member
    I may be way wrong here, but we have discussed this in several threads and a thin coat actually helps with heat dissipation as it creates an irregular surface (more surface area) where I may be wrong is that I would think the ceramics in the high temp paints would hinder the transmission of heat from the body to the air as ceramics are usually really good insulators.

I use regular paint with my dual MCE builds and have no issues running at 500ma per die with minimal airflow

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for the help. Ill do it after work at post up some pictures

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    before

and after

i like how it turned out. we'll see if it runs any hotter than before

Lets RIDE!
    It looks good black. I was going to suggest flat black wood stove/ bbq grill paint, a couple thin coats. I used it on a beat up old halogen light housing....It can handle the heat and it was pretty durable. Flat black is supposed to radiate heat the best.

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks. I just used regular flat black paint and it seems to be handling the heat very well. Doesnt get any hotter than it did before

mtbr member
    Looks Good

Members who have read this thread: 0