Something a little different – Need Suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Something a little different – Need Suggestions

A few months ago I got very cheap a old headlamp. Finally I started the modding.

The plan is to use it in my Singular that I ride mostly on some nights in urban and lighter trails. I don’t really need that much light on those rides and always use a helmet light anyway, so I decided on something simple and as discreet as possible.

I used an xpg P60 drop-in from DX . I tested the headlamp reflector and the drop-in reflector, but the headlamp reflector beam was too much floody.

Since waterproofing the headlamp would be hard, I decided to waterproof the drop-in itself. So I glued the module reflector and put some silicon.
    The result was far from perfect, but I hope it would at least be waterproof. I might replace this part latter.
    The headlamp diffuser has a crack and the reflector somehow has a trace of rust. The thing is alu so I wonder how did that happened. Didn’t noticed it when was applying glue.

The back of the drop-in will be completely sealed in plastidip. Probably will attach a piece of alu or copper using thermal past between the reflector and the headlamp body to help transfer and dissipate some heat.

I will waterproof a single 18650 cell and place it inside the head tube. The switch button will be mounted in the stem cap. The cell will be held in place basically by the bolt that secures the headlamp to the fork. The problem is the connection between the headlamp and the cell that will also be used to charge the cell.

Since I use this bike 90% at night I planned to make this a permanent light. I don’t want to have to dismount the entire light just to charge it. Was going to use a sigma powerled extension cable, but looking at the pictures I’m not sure that its going to work.. The space is small and I have to be carefully because a lot of dirt is going to hit the connectors…

Any ideas?? How can I have a permanent install and still be able to charge the cell?

mtbr member
    really there isn`t that many options if the cell is in the steerer tube/ switch on stem cap
    can you expand on this...
    Was going to use a sigma powerled extension cable, but looking at the pictures I’m not sure that its going to work..
    The space is small and I have to be carefully because a lot of dirt is going to hit the connectors…
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HEY HEY ITS HENDO
    really there isn`t that many options if the cell is in the steerer tube/ switch on stem cap
    Exactly. My initial plan was to have the sigma female connector attached to the cell and the male to the headlight. But when I test fit the thing I found the problem. The connector is just too big and there is almost no space for cable to give some flexibility. But if I use to much cable it might touch the tire and .... I will take a picture tomorrow.

I was thinking as I wrote. Maybe if instead of using a bolt that goes all thru the steerer tube, I could use a shorter bolt with a nut inside the steerer. That would leave space to push the connector up the steerer tube. Then it would be just the cable visible on the outside. But I still have to find a way to build some kind of quick release to lock the connector in place inside.

Sorry for my English

mtbr member
    hmm, that's a curious one

how about a star fangled nut, which will leave your steerer tube free (is that 1in or 1 1/8in? Might be able to use a handlebar bung instead..), then get a plastic steerer tube bung from some grumpy old guy in a bike shop. Used to use them back in the day when people rode steel rigid forks to stop the steerer rusting. You could then get a Magicshine Y extension cable off DealExtreme ($3.50 and potentially wait a month+ for it to arrive) or Geoman ($10 and USPS FTW).
    Then, drill a hole in the steerer tube bung, cut the extension cord and thread the male bit through. Silicone battery and cable to the bung, put bung in steerer tube. Use one of the female Y connectors for the light and the other one to mod a cheap 18650 charger from DX.
    All you have to do to charge it is unplug the light, plug the charger in and you're sipping martinis

Does that make any sense?! Cool looking light BTW, goes perfectly with the frame.

mtbr member
    It’s a 1in steerer. I already have the MS and Sigma extensions.
    It makes perfect sense, and I planned to do exactly as you describe. I even have a charger already wired.

it’s just that there is no space between the steerer tube and the light to accommodate the male and female connector.

I think that I’m going to order a few connectors like the ones troutie is using in the liberator 3. Then I can put a male panel connector on the light. With a little luck, It might have enough clearance to accommodate the female connector.

p.s. Nice tip about the steerer tube bung. Perfect escuse to go visit some old bike shops

mtbr member

This is the problem.. The connector is a sigma, which is smaller than the MS one ( see the other pic ) but is still too big. If I keep it short it won't be easy to plug/unplug.. If I leave it a little longer it might touch the wheel..

Top - Sigma, bottom MS

A waste of time it is is
    Use a bit of velcro to hold it up to the light arm when night in use charging

mtbr member
    I'd go with what emu suggests - leave a little bit of slack to make plugging in easier, then velcro the connector to the bracket once it's connected, to keep it out of the tyre.

velcro solves all problems. Other than sticking to everything you don't want it to stick to

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26
    Use a bit of velcro to hold it up to the light arm when night in use charging
    Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet
    I'd go with what emu suggests - leave a little bit of slack to make plugging in easier, then velcro the connector to the bracket once it's connected, to keep it out of the tyre.

velcro solves all problems. Other than sticking to everything you don't want it to stick to
    Very true I'm going to give it a try.

mtbr member
    let us know how it goes, though if you can make velcro "elegant" it would be worth a try - it really is a classic looking light!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It's actually a 1 1/8" steerer. Could you run the charging cable out the top of the steerer instead? Cool looking light Mauricio!
    Yes - I do own Singular Cycles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Singular
    It's actually a 1 1/8" steerer. Could you run the charging cable out the top of the steerer instead? Cool looking light Mauricio!
    hi sam,

I was beeing dumb, off course its a 1 1/8" I wanted to put the power switch on the top off the steerer, and I'm not sure there is space for both but I'm going to look into it.

Members who have read this thread: 0