mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Soldering iron or soldering station for craftwork on Leds and boards

Hello everybody;
    I would also like to go into the workerzone and I need a soldering iron or a soldering station! I just do not know what is better, soldering iron or station?
    I would like to solder LEDs (PCPCB) and components on boards to solder or solder cables?
    What I have found so far is the pretty much all have a temperature range of 150-450 degrees, only the Watts vary very strongly!
    How many watts do you need for the above tasks?
    A must is adjustable temperature! Which solder tip thicknesses would be advantageous?
    Budget: as little as possible, as expensive as necessary, should be called if what is clever can it still costs more, if anyway is only average goods it must not be unnecessarily expensive, I need only from time to time for the hobby area, nothing professinell! I would say of 50-max 100 euros!
    Suggestion.
    soldering iron
    Https://www.amazon.com/Ersa-PTC70-Te...ds=ersa+ptc+70
    Soldering station
    Https://www.amazon.de/ELV-80-W-Komf....words=elv+80+w Https://www.amazon.de/ST-50D-LÖTSTAT...keywords=st50d
    What makes sense?
    I would buy this in Germany or Austria,thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I use an old Weller brand iron. It is 35W. Despite being about 30 years old, replacement components are easily obtained still. Be cautious of "off-brands" where you may not be able to get new tips or heating element 5 years from now.

IMHO the most important thing about whatever you get is the ability to easily change tips to use whatever is most appropriate for the job being done. I have tips as small as 1mm for work on PCBs up to a tip that is 1.5mm by 4mm for soldering fairly heavy wires. I find that the tip size around 1.5mm is used most often.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Tips are important for shure, but also the power. It depends what you want to do. Sometimes is hard to (de)solder wires to the led PCB if they are mounted on good heatsink. In that case it is good to have more power. I have 48W but would sometimes need more (in that case I use an old dumb and thick iron).

I would go for 60W at least with power controled adjustable temperature. 50W would be enough for most things, too.

K&K
    Have done occasional soldering for years and never thought a station was worth it. Finally bought this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and my only regret is that I waited so long to go to a station. My needs are simple, so this might not be suitable for your purposes, but the station is perfect for what I do.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I will buy this?
    HUAYU H898+ 700W SMD Hot Air Rework Station-68.36 Online Shopping| GearBest.com
    Here I have a hot air station and a soldering station in one.
    Only I do not know how much watts the soldering station has?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ki5ka View Post
    Have done occasional soldering for years and never thought a station was worth it. Finally bought this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and my only regret is that I waited so long to go to a station. My needs are simple, so this might not be suitable for your purposes, but the station is perfect for what I do.
    That is pretty nice and great for the price, but if you are going to be doing fine work this thing is the way to go. https://www.amazon.com/Weller-WES51-...dering+station tip temperature adjustable by degrees from 350 to 850.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I use a Hakko from before they went to a digital temp adjustment (mine has a dial). I love my Hako. Just like ki5, my only regret is not buying it sooner. I spent MANY years being frustrated at the results of cheap irons while working on car audio.

This is the current model of mine: https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX888D-...solder+station
    2018 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey Ops (commuter, gravel, fun))

mtbr member
    May 2018
    As I think soldering equipments is better to buy with strong garantee For me its not bad this shop but if somebody knows something better i would like to see