So lets see if I have some stuff figured out.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

So lets see if I have some stuff figured out.

Waiting on parts for my copy of pucked up's lights I am starting to mod my streamlight Argo Hp. So just want to clear up what I have been reading.

It has a 1watt side emitter. and runs on 2 cr123a.

I have some 16430 on the way (think thats the number) and will replace the led and driver.

So, if a LED is rated at 1000lm at 3amps and say 500 lumens at 1amp, that led should be brighter then the stock 1 watt and even have a possible longer run time?

Im not sure I can run a high amp led due to heat issues.

Is it right to try to get the higest lumens/amp ratio for effeciency even if I am not driving it to its peak? that should cut down on the head and extend battery life.

thanks

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If your old LED is a side emitter it is probably a Luxeon 1. An XML or XPG will produce more lumens per Watt than the original. Using the original driver will net increased raw output. What will not work well without some modification is the original optic or reflector. My experience with swapping out a side emitter LED to a lambertian type emitter is that you need to get the new emitter deeper into the reflector. I did that by mounting the new LED (XPG in my case) on a thicker aluminum slug than the original and then sanding ~1.5mm off the back of the reflector in a few stages. Sand some then assemble and test. If it llooked better then disassemble and sand a bit more. When i reached a point that looked good, I stopped. The results were beautiful. The only thing that I have seen throw better is an aspheric lens.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks. I figured the reflector would work well with out mods. I the driver takes the 2 3.7v I ordered then I will just try and emitter swap and see how it goes

Members who have read this thread: 0