Single 18650 won't take charge..reading 0V- Mtbr.com
    shining bright

Single 18650 won't take charge..reading 0V

I have a single Panasonic NCR18650B that I bought along with another as a two pack on ebay. One of them is used regularly in a light on my Fire helmet, and the other was a backup.

I took it last night to charge it and my little wall charger (for a single 18650 cell) shows a green light. However, it reads 0V with a multimeter. I tested for resistance between poles as well, no short. it is reading open, just like my other good battery does.

I'm pretty sure it has a protection circuit built in, and it may be in sleep mode. However, repeated trips to another Tenergy universal smart charger which switches between 3.7, 7.4, 11.1, and 14.8V does nothing for it either. It shows a green light like it is charged. Even left it on for about an hour earlier.. No heat in the battery, no nothing.

I hate to know it is done, because the pair of batteries were pretty expansive and I haven't even hardly used this one. I'm pretty sure I gave it a little charge before I stuck it a drawer for a few months.

Is it done?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sounds like the protection circuit has either failed open or won't reset with your charger. Try to reset the protection circuit by connecting it in parallel with another fully charged (~4.2V) 18650. If that doesn't work then you could disassemble it and use as an unprotected cell or replace the protection circuit if the cell itself is still good.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

shining bright
    So connecting it in parallel with the second battery I have should reset the protection? I've never tried to take one apart. I didn't know I could do that. I guess I would just remove all of the outside covering and the protection should be in there somewhere?

I would of course be careful doing this. I'm just wondering. I hate to discard it (properly of course).

shining bright
    Just charged it on 14.8V setting for 5 minutes and when I checked the battery it is still zero V

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Why would you charge a single cell at 3 times its rated voltage ? If the protection circuit was still working, it would cut off at anything over 4.2V to protect the cell from being overcharged.

shining bright
    I was trying to jump start it. I'm not sure if the protection has failed or what. Just kind of ticks me off. I have charged these batteries maybe once or twice..and one just fails. They were expensive.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    14.8V is almost certain to kill the protection circuit if it was not already dead

shining bright
    Well I managed to get the protection circuit disconnected. I found the bare battery poles and held a meter to them. Still Zero volts. I tried charging and got the same thing. I have no idea what happened. I guess the batter just kicked the bucket.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yes, dead cell. Sometimes it happens, even with the Panasonics.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Agreed that your cell is dead. However, this could be a cautionary tale about ebay, as fake panasonic wrappers are readily available for scammers that are re-purposing laptop pulls as premium product.
    The study du jour: can one's reputation be artificially inflated by simply putting a request for rep in one's sig?