simple wiring schematics- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015

simple wiring schematics

Dear madamssess, and sirsses. I ordered the famous ebay solarstorm lamp with a crappy LiON pack. As I'll use it, I itend to invest in a set of quality panasonic cells, that would be more reliable.

I have just a few noob questions, since I red so much articles, and couldn't find a confirmation for my plan.

Especially when it comes to PCB's. All of them are 1S, 2S..etc, so I concluded that only the serial connected cells need to be protected. Parallel ones only add to capacity, and undergo the protection no matter if it's one or more connected together
    I'm intending to buy this:

2S Li-ion Lithium 18650 Battery Cell Input Ouput Protection Board PCB 7.4V 2A | eBay

If I'm correct, the B+/- solder to the battery pack, and the P+/- to the lamp. Just to get few things straight in the start. Do I need to solder extra wires and a jack to the B+/- pads on the PCB in order to connect the charger, or do I connect the charger on the P+/- part of the PCB (through the lamp jack, since that's the way the chinese pack is made - only one set of wires is sticking out). Plain reason says that direct connection of a charger to B+/- pads would bypass the PCB. BUT, what is the BM pad on the PCB? could it be "Balancing Managment" or some such something? how do I wire that pad? do I need to wire it at all?

I'm no dummy in electronics and soldering, so this is how I would set this gig up:

simple wiring schematics-lion-pcb.jpg

And this is how I would solder the batteries together:

Name:  lion solder view.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  24.3 KB

I intend to buy a better charger eventually, but for the time beeing I'll use the one provided with the solarstorm battery pack, simillar to this:

EU Plug AC Power Charger Adapter Port Directly 18650 Flashlight Converters | eBay

I could even buy this:

Battery Case Holder Storage Box Rechargeable Battery 3.7V DIY For 2x 18650 | eBay

and do the wiring so I can remove and charge individual cells by something like this:

Nitecore I4 Intelli Smart Charger for 18350 16340 26650 18650 16340 AA AAA in UK | eBay

or any other cheaper version

Will this work, or will I burn down my building?

One last question. If the listing doesn't say, how do I know if the cell is protected or not?

like these ones:

NEW Panasonic Battety 2900mAh NCR18650PF Li-Ion rechargeable battery 2pcs/Lot | eBay

If I buy four of them, and solder them without PCB.. It should work as a charm (provided they have the integrated PCB)

sorry for the long post

here's a potato cat

simple wiring schematics-enhanced-buzz-11446-1360361732-6.jpg

RAKC
    first thing is, not a good idea to try and solder lithium cells if you dont have the knowledge and correct soldering equipment. Trying to solder protected cells is a VERY BAD IDEA. If you accidently get the protection circuits too hot they wont work anymore.

You would be better off buying a proper pre-made pack, there is packs for very low cost that use panasonic cells. Thread in the lights an night riding forum. Come with a good pouch (not the junk that came with your light), rubber casing, and PROPERLY made. For about $25USD

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    25$ plus shipping. It's still an option to use the housing on the last link...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Stay away from those chargers, there about as good/bad as the one that came with the light.
    Buy one of these instead.
    Magicshine Battery Charger MJ-6012 for 8.4 volt batteries with round connector | eBay

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Ok, so I need magic shine 8,4V charger. Good. They are reasonably priced.

What about wiring? Is it any good? Do I need a pcb with panasonic cells, or is it built in the cell itself?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    You need to wire the BM pad to the connection between the two cells in series. This allows the PCB to monitor the individual voltages of those cells.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Oh..great. Thank you

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Wireing from OP with last addition to the BM would be OK, but do you have balancing charger? There is no point if you don't have one.

It is much easier if you buy good pack we have found lately and invest rest of the money on good 8.4V charger. See:

http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...ce-995303.html

or generaly:

http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...nd-997165.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    As I mentioned before, I'm not from US, and shipping will double the pack price

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm not from the US either and shipping from Kaidomain amongst many others is free of charge (or should we say included in the price). So I see no reason not to buy it from there. But the choice is yours.

RAKC
    And its still cheaper and easier. Better deal. Pack is already balanced, charging is easy, protection circuit already included. Plus rubber casing and good pouch. Cheaper and easier/more reliable. Plus as ledoman said the shipping is free. You can't build a pack itself with Panasonic cells for that price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Ok, didn't find that info. Great, that's a great option then

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    does the kaido pack have the same plug as all favourite solar storm lamp?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Not exactly the same, but they are compatible and can be used together.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    So my solar storm battery pack is getting really weak. Lasted like 15-20 min on low beam during the last ride (it was -6C tho) and I decided to remove the shrink wrap and take a look. I was stunned and a little bit confused because of how they wired the battery pack:

simple wiring schematics-img_20160131_203607.jpgsimple wiring schematics-img_20160131_203618.jpg

One battery cell was a little bit swollen, so I decided not to use this battery pack again but I want to make new battery pack wired 2s2p from an old laptop battery using SE US18650GR cells and this diagram and continue using original battery charger that came with the lamp.

So my concern is, am I right to think they wired the original battery wrong?
    Should I wire new 18650 pack using the diagram from above and should I continue using the original battery charger, since I got no other?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I'm getting a notification, but I can't see the last post

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I wrote one, but seems like it got deleted, dunno why, I don't think i broke rules or something...

Anyways, I was saying that my solarstorm battery pack was getting really weak and I removed the shrink wrap from the battery pack and I was stunned because of the way it was wired [pics attached].

So now I want to replace those original cells with Sony SE US18650GR cells from an old laptop battery pack and wire them like shown in this diagram: https://i.imgur.com/AG3VyJB.png and I want to use the same original solarstorm charger to charge them (since i got no other).
    So am I right to think that the original battery pack was wired in the wrong way and do you guys think I can get away with using the original charger to charge "new" Sony cells?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails simple wiring schematics-img_20160131_203618.jpg  

simple wiring schematics-img_20160131_203607.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Odds are pretty good that one or two of the cells is a "dummy".
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    MasterLuber, yes you can use your Sony SE US18650GR cells, but do you know at what stage they are? Do you know how they can hold their capacity and how the cells in pairs mached each other so you don't get unbalanced pack.
    You can use existing PCM from the crrappy pack if you don't have better one.

If you have hobby charger around give it at one charge/discharge run on those cells. Of course leave them connected in pairs. You have probably got 3 pairs of cells from the laptop pack. Use two that maches most.

I'm using iCharger 106B+ which can connect to PC and can plot discharge curves. That way I can see behaviour and find the closest match, but it is long process and quite time consuming.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Thanks for the reply guys. Yes, at least one cell from the original battery pack is bad, so I'm not gonna use those. Gonna try those from laptop battery even tho I can't test them atm. Gonna report on how those cells hold up anyways.