Shelf life of the Li-ion cells- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Shelf life of the Li-ion cells

I've heard that Li-ion cells will deteriorate over time, so that unused cells that are couple of years old do not hold as much charge as they did when new.

Is it true? I'm planning to harvest cells from unused laptop batteries that are made for now obsolete laptop models. They have quality cells inside but they are already couple of years old.

Arne

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The answer is - it depends.

Shelf life is greatly affected by state of charge and storage temperature.

Back when I did cell testing, the batteries I tested were losing a consistent 4% capacity at room temp per year. This would be a BEST case scenario as these were high end cells from Korea. The good batteries were very consistent as we tested well over 30 cells at a time.
    Some of the worst ones from China would have a lot of variation. Some would degrade slowly as expected while others would degrade to nothing in less than 6 months.

mtbr member
    i had also wondered about this, so thanks for the answer linger
    looks like you`ve hit the jackpot then arnea
    ...Scun.thorpe, UK

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Check out this chart of capacity loss (aka "aging") versus temperature and state of charge:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries

Laptop cells are in a particularly bad environment, especially if the laptop is used as a desktop replacement and is constantly on. This results in the cells being both at a high state of charge, and at an elevated temperature.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thank you for the answers. I think I will get one battery and check it out. It is unused, so the concernes mentioned in the Battery University page (full charge and high temperature) do not apply.

Arne

Members who have read this thread: 0