Sent email to Dinotte, got this response- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Sent email to Dinotte, got this response

So I sent this email to Dinotte asking about compatibility.

http://store.dinottelighting.<wbr>com/spare-cables-li-ion-only-<wbr>p52.aspx

Hi,

I was wondering if the Y adapter you sell here is compatible with the round-style connectors on Magicshine batteries and lights.

For comparision, the Magicshine Y adapter looks like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/<wbr>Magicshine-Mj-6018-Y-cable-<wbr>Splitter-Headlamp/dp/<wbr>B00S2R8LJ0

Thanks, I think your adapter is more elegant and compact.
    And here's the response I got.

magicshine products are dangerous and most of the parts are illegal. Please never use any of our components with anything they make. The batteries and chargers are a safety hazzard and you should discontinue use of them immediately.

It's a dangerous product that I wouldn't want anything we make connected to it. That's all we need is a dangerous battery to catch fire and our product to be connected to it.

Please never, never use our product with their dangerous, horrible, illegal product.

Never ask us about dangerous products. Use of dangerous products is not only hazzardous to your safety, but to honest companies like ours.

Perhaps you didn't know the products were dangerous and counterfeit. I'm sorry if this is new information.

Thank you,

DiNotte Lighting USA
    1 Merrill Drive
    Suite 10
    Hampton NH, 03842
    email: [email protected]
    Tel: (603) 929 0123

Fax: (603 926 3597)
    Excuse my french, but WTF? I understand they are a competing brand and all, but no need to diss them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bosun120 View Post
    Excuse my french, but WTF? I understand they are a competing brand and all, but no need to diss them.
    Seen this?

Lithium-Ion Batteries Used with Bicycle Lights Recalled by GeoManGear Due to Fire Hazard | CPSC.gov

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sadly, the bad battery thing put Geoman out of business.

@OP... Honestly, did you expect Dinotte to tell you that it was fine to use a cheap alternate product in conjunction with theirs? They certainly went overboard with the disclaimer, but I'm certain they would never endorse usage of a competitor's product with theirs. Ask them if you can use a Lupine or Niterider battery with their lights, and see what the response is.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    To be honest, I would have expected a simple "No". Didn't expect this strongly worded letter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Sounds like someone is seriously threatened by the overseas business model.

Is Magicshine lower quality than Dinotte? Most likely. Are they dangerous and hazardous? No more than Dinotte, now that original Magicshine's use UL/CL approved charges. Yes, clones and clones of clones have dangerous chargers, making the batteries "dangerous" in nature while in use. But you asked about "Magicshine", not "no name knock-off's".

This type of response has knocked Dinnotte down my list of brands considered. Up to now, it's only been there low capacity batteries that has lowered them on my list.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by neons97 View Post
    ...Is Magicshine lower quality than Dinotte? Absolutely!
    Fixed this ^

Both buddies that I advised to buy MS lights had them fail within 6-9 months. By that time Geoman (where they purchased from) had been forced out of business by the crap MS batteries recall so no warranty service was possible. I was able to repair and improve them so that they could get reliable service out of them. I suspect that had they purchased Dinotte, they would still have serviceable lights without the hassle/hazard of premature failure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Wow. I've never used either brand and dont plan on it, but this comes across extremely unprofessional and just piss poor for a "business". A simple no or a polite recommendation to not use any other brand product would have been fine.

Me Worry?
    It has to be rough to be in the high end LED bicycle light market these days. The Chinese made LEDs keep improving and the price keeps dropping. It's a little telling that the basis of their argument that Magicshine batteries are dangerous is from a batch of lights sold 5-6 years ago. Tens of thousands of Magicshine lights have been sold since then and I for one know of at least a half dozen MS owners none of whom batteries have overheated, caught fire, etc.

Just using myself as an example - my riding buddies invited me night riding (which I haven't done in years). I could hardly justify spending $299 to try something I might rarely do due to family/work/weather constraints. But for $39 I could buy a MS clone, Bright Eyes Bicycle Lights, that included everything - light, battery, charger, mounts, etc., with a lifetime warranty on the light itself and U.S. based customer service (I have no affiliation with Brighteyes, just a satisfied customer). Brighteyes promptly replaced a underperforming battery pack, no questions asked.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I own a "legit" light (Serfas) and I also have two knock-off lights that were cheap so it was a "why not?" type of purchase and curiosity to see how the knock-off lights would do. The difference is noticeable in terms of quality, fit, and finish and if I could afford only high-end lights then that would be all I'd use. But I don't ride at night often or long enough to justify $400+ lights and the knock-off lights do a good enough job for me. Sometimes "good enough" is all that you need.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    I own one of these chinese batteries. A full charge didn't last me one evening.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    That response is asinine. That looks like someone's 14 year old read their father's business email, and fired off a juvenile response. I wouldn't buy a product from a company that is that unprofessional if that is a genuine response. If that's their marketing or sales dept. answering that, they should be ashamed.

I started with a cheap Chinese SS X2 copy just to see if I would even enjoy night riding. It was bright, lightweight, and things started off well enough. Then on the 5th ride, it locked on low, and won't change. It's hard boiled.

I decided I wanted something more dependable and shopped around. I got an S12 Two / Sogn 900 combo from Xeccon, and more specifically and importantly, from Leonard at Mtbrevolution.com. Leonard answered every email I sent, narrowed down what he felt would work best for me based on my input, and I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER. He did an excellent job of comparing and contrasting everything from the least expensive options, up to the top of the line "best bang for the buck" from reviews; Sogn 700.

The products arrived in excellent packaging, are durable, functional, and included all of the necessary accessories to take them out of the box, mount them, and take off.

I have a Yinding cool white ordered from GearBest. I thought I had cancelled it, but it was already on the way. I'll be interested to see if I have any better luck this time around with the Chinese option, and if I do, I'll gladly give it a glowing report. Until then, I'd rather just fork over the extra $25-30 and get a dependable light with THICK cords, fasteners that actually fit each other, and batteries that I know are going to have some decent run times and longevity. Just a quality replacement battery pack alone would more than make up the cost difference!

When you buy anything Electronic that comes with cheesy knock off batteries, you immediately think, "These won't last long, so I'll just use them until they crap out and replace them with a quality battery." I have NO REASON to think that the Chinese knock off batteries are any different. To take that a step further, some people never even put the cheap batteries in their devices, because they fully expect them to leak, fail, and/or explode and corrode everything. Remote controls are a great example of that.

Hey, if it sounds like an endorsement...it is. I'm not being paid in any other way than being a satisfied customer, but for as many times as I see horrible reviews when things go badly, I like the opportunity to give a good one when things go exactly as I would like them to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Why is this thread in the DIY forum? Anyone that has built their own light from scratch knows the history of Magicshine. Their original light head was a rip off of a Lupine design. Frequent failures were reported here and on other forums. Poor materials, poor workmanship and lack of customer support failed to stop the typical American buyer who really only looks at the sticker price anyway. The Chinese business model is to steal design, use questionable components, build to poor standards with one aim in mind - to take market share. The end justifies the means - if you're unethical. Works for them. Some of us, however, have a higher standard. Moderator, could you move this thread to the night riding forum? That's where most of the Magicshine users reside.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    +10 ^