resister advise needed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

resister advise needed

I want to put 2 red 5mm leds in the back of my light and have the leds and some resisters they sent with them for use if you use them in a car for upto 14.5 volts

I want to run them from the 14.4 volt input to the light but it will be 16.5 off the charger

Am I ok with it as is
    and is it one resistor for each led in parallel
    or 1 resistor and both leds in series

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    I want to put 2 red 5mm leds in the back of my light and have the leds and some resisters they sent with them for use if you use them in a car for upto 14.5 volts

I want to run them from the 14.4 volt input to the light but it will be 16.5 off the charger

Am I ok with it as is
    and is it one resistor for each led in parallel
    or 1 resistor and both leds in series
    It will not make much differance either way. Red leds have a vf of about 2V so with one led the resistor will have a voltage drop of 12V. If you put to leds in series it will be 10V. If your battery starts at 16V and one led your looking at 14V. 16V and 2 leds in series is back to 12V as this is probobly the simplest to wire up that is what I would do but the differance either way will not be too noticable. When you have to be carfull is if you have lots of leds in series and the vf is close to the suply voltage then adding or removing an led will make a big differance.

Ifor

mtbr member
    Cheers Ifor that helps alot.

Members who have read this thread: 0