Reflector/Shield for Yinding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Reflector/Shield for Yinding

Cut out the bottom of another cocoa can to fashion this reflector/shield for my Black Yinding. Seems to almost double the brightness in front of the wheel and of course keeps onlookers from getting blinded by this mighty little light.

Reflector/Shield for Yinding-image.jpg

As you can see, have the lamp attached to the external bottom bracket's non-drive side at the end of the boom on my recumbent set up with mtb train (and all-terrain tires, not quite visible.) Interesting having the beam fixed, rather than mounted to the handlebars where it can turn. Was worried that the Yinding's 15º spots would be too narrow for low beams but beause they always point directly ahead that wasn't a problem. Anyway I'm also running a pair of KD XM-L2 w/Glow Rings and elliptical diffusers on the bars as well as my BT40S and KD MJ-880 clone, so am prepared for all contingencies. But the fixed Yinding worked so well on its own, now I'm planning on mounting my MagicShine MJ-816 to the headtube of my LWB — well, after I swap out all three of its emitters for Neutral Whites, of course. Nice thing is that lamp has a wired remote, should be enough cable to make it from the grips down to the mount. Amazon.com : Jmt Sports Camera Handlebar Seatpost Rack Mount Compatible Gopro Hd Hero 2 3 : Go Pro : Sports & Outdoors Guess that one will have to be the subject of yet another thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reflector/Shield for Yinding-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Beam Shots

Got a chance to revisit the Conservation Area in Prospect Park. Grabbed a coupla shots of my Neutral White [5C?] Yinding with its new DIY Reflecting Shield:

Yinding with Reflecting Shield, head on

Yinding on High, Reflecting Shield pointed down

Yinding Mounted to Crank Case (External Bottom Bracket)

Sorry but V-Bulletin turned the first and last pics on their sides, D'oh!

Again, noticed the advantage of having the Yinding, with its sorta spotty default lenses, fixed to the frame rather than mounted to the bars: Beam stays steady in front of the bike rather than arcing around with every little stearing input. And the emitters are invisible to onlookers, all they can see is the beam illuminating the path. So perfect for commuting or riding MUP. Advantage in single track for climbing where Yinding might automatically step down to Low: Reflector directs and intensifies the light to make every last lumen count. Very effective mod and certainly the cheapest I've ever done.

RAKC
    Nice work man!!! That is definitely the definition of DIY. Minimal tools and materials to accomplish the job. Sadly that's probably the only application where lights wouldn't be blocked by cables ot other things but be frame mounted. Great idea.

RAKC
    So I did something similar to my ssx2 for my commuter. Since it was free I figured what better light to use. Converted to optics by stripping stock emitters off plate, used thermal adhesive to glue 2 washers together on each side and onto the stock plate. Took 2 extra l2 emitters on 16mm pcbs on top of those lol. Then cut a piece of aluminum sheet I had laying around to make a deflector with tabs that fit in between case fins then glued the tabs in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    So I did something similar to my ssx2 for my commuter... Then cut a piece of aluminum sheet I had laying around to make a deflector with tabs that fit in between case fins then glued the tabs in.
    Fiendishly clever to fit it into the fins, tigris. Will have to try something like that on my SS X3. Thinking if the sides were widened out a few mm for extra strength and extended a little past the back of the lamp, then with rounded hooks at the ends the whole unit could simply snap into place.

BTW have you tested the beam yet? Dunno of course what your priorities might be as a commuter, but the "deflector" you fashioned is much shorter than the shield I cut out, which just barely conceals my Yinding's lenses from the sight of onlookers when angled considerably downward. Yeah extending it out so far kinda kills the throw, but in the city I just need to make out pot holes right in front of me; any longer a beam would diffuse too much past my immediate field of vision and get lost in the street lighting. Again, for mtbiking on single track not a problem, since lamp can be pointed higher for distance and the beam will still appear quite intense on the trail bed. Obviously some secondary light would be needed for making out obstacles above ground level but that's a common setup anyway.

Incidentally, because I "commuted" my Black Yinding from the first batch GearBest sent out with the warm 5Cish tint, the intensified beam projected onto asphalt really mimics that of automotive head lights. Makes cyclists ahead of me scatter!

RAKC
    I want mine to be seen in the front just only a small portion. But I want to be seen since commute is almost all on streets.