reflective paint- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

reflective paint

Reflective paint. anyone think it could be useful

http://www.glowtec.co.uk/reflective-paint-info.htm

mtbr member
    This stuff looks like the stuff used on shoes where they print a logo with it. My camelbak has some on it too. It is pretty impressive how well it works, and most people probably don't even realize they are wearing a reflective shoe or whatever. It could be used on accessories like batteries or switches, or maybe as an accent on a light. I bought some 3M reflective sticker sheets and made some decals for my helmet and the rims on one of my bikes which don't stick out too much. They even make the stickers in black, but with clear paint there would be many more possible uses.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I used to have pieces of 3M reflective tape on my frame, crank, wheels and pedals. Worked so well that I had some cars complain that my lights were too bright. This was in the 90s before cheap blink lights were available, and I've not had the tape on any bikes in years.

The micro retro-reflectors work far better than glass beads at reflecting light, and there are even better tapes available now. Google "3M 3000x". Here's one place that sells it:

(grrr - I need more posts to post a link)

Thin strips on seat stays and crank arms will make your bike unbelievably visible to approaching cars. Small bits on rims will elicit comments from drivers.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    I tried to talk a painter into using reflective chips in paint for a rando bike (rando == lots of night riding). He didn't want to deal with it, takes a different gun and looks funny.

Still on my list of things to do, just finding a painter might not be easy

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I don't know about the paint, but I have heard that reflective tape helps to brighten up taillights. I found a thread on a Jeep forum that talks about it. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/si...grade-1022601/

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    For a light without a reflector (like the Jeep tail light) it might work, but for the lights built around here a mirrorized reflector or lens will work much better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdotorg View Post
    For a light without a reflector (like the Jeep tail light) it might work, but for the lights built around here a mirrorized reflector or lens will work much better.

Yeah, I don't know how it could work in bike lights but I remembered that thread from last year and thought it might spark some ideas with someone.