recommended lens angle- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

recommended lens angle

hey there! My first post!

Just about to make my first DIY light, I plan to make a single Cree MC-E light.

I've sorted all the bits I need to buy and found a type of lens with the right profile but I don’t know what sort of angle I want on it (10o -- 12.5o -- 19ox12o).
    Can anybody recommend an angle?

(Light will be used for casual night-riding and pitch black road sometime at 10:30 in driving winter rain it is Britain after all)

Regards,
    Joe

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    if your only running one led, you likely do not want to have a ton of flood, if you run a narrow-ish beam say the 10 or 12.5 as you mentioned you will naturally get plenty of spill especially with the lumen output of the mc-e. if you get too floody you wont have a whole lot of throw there will be a lot of light but it might not be useful for your particular needs or desires. i have a single xr-e r2 with a 7* optic that i mount to my womans bar or helmet and that provides a decent compliment of throw as well as enough flood/spill to illuminate the edges of the path or bike lane.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ledil CMS RS, SS, or M is what I usually run with the MCEs. Decent throw and should work for what your needs seem to be.
    These are used in 1 inch square tubing. If you are using 1 inch round or larger tubing then there are other options. Most of us here have been let down by the Booms. The SS is very floody and its the tightest they make.
    So going by advertised angles isn't always a good way to judge.
    Someone on candle power forums had side by side wall shots of all the lenses. I think it might have been in one of the threads here as well. Someone might know what I am talking about and be able to provide you a link.
    Or you can search for MCE and beam shot threads and maybe answer your own question.

Found this comparison done by Troutie .
    Last edited by odtexas; 03-10-2009 at 07:15 PM.

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    I think the spot lenses are best (ledil SS, D)
    We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace -Michael Franti

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    great tips cheers! ill do a bit more research and then post back!

regards,
    Joe

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    1) read this thread.
    2) Decide what you want and build the light
    3) find an optic you like more.
    4) Build another light to try that.
    repeat steps 3&4 many many times!

I use a rocket SS and it is ok but really needs a helmet spot to get more range. I tried the CMC-SS and didn't really see a great difference in practice. Anything wider than these will just waste light to no good affect (IMHO).

Toby

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePigeon
    Can anybody recommend an angle?
    It's depend on Your riding style and the path. At last You will end with 2 lights - 1 on helmet (narrow) and 1 on handlebar - more wide, I think.
    If You are fast and on well known path, go for narrow for the beginig.

Members who have read this thread: 0