Quick build triple XP-E- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Quick build triple XP-E

This is about as quick and simple a built that I have been able to come up with.

Triple XP-E from Cutter
    Triple Optic from Cutter (narrow)
    BuckPuck (wired) 1A (from LED Supply dot com)
    Three Position Switch (on/off/on)
    580 ohm Resistor
    Donor headlamp base (from a cheap $5 headlamp)
    Pigtail power Lead from BatterySpace dot Com
    1" square Aluminium
    1"X1/8" Aluminium
    Lexan 1" x 1"

I cut a 3 1/4" lencnth of the 1" square alluminum
    I used two pieces of 1/8" thick aluminium to build up a 1/4" "firewall" to mount the triple XP-E using a generous amount of JB Weld on the backside of the wall creating a bead
    for heat dissipation and strengh. I let it dry overnight.
    Then a drilled a 1/4" hole for the switch. I soldered one of the pot leads from the buckpuck to the center post and one to a outside post. I then soldered a 580 ohm resister to the two outside posts. This gives me a off/hi/low switch.
    I also drilled a 1/8" hole all the way through the housing to bolt the mount. Be sure it is far enough behind the firewall, but close to it for maximize space.
    I then drilled a 1/8" hole in the center of the "firewall" to pass the wires for the LEDs
    I then passed the LED leads through the hole and soldered them the LED base. Then mounted the switch and stuffed the Buckpuck inside with the power leads hanging out. I then used Artic Silver to mount the LED base to the "firewall". I let it dry for 30 minutes.
    I then made a backplate by using a 1/16" thick piece of aluminum that fit INSIDE of the square and attached it to a 1" x 1" X 1/16" backplate with JB Weld. I carefully drilled a hole in the center to mount the cable gland. Be sure to check the thickness and fit befor gluing in gland for strengh. I then passed the pigtail battery lead through the gland and soldered the leads to buckpuck being sure to cover the solders with shrink tubing. I secured the back plate with JB Weld and mounted optics and lexan with silicone.
    Using a 13.2V 4500 Nihm I should get about 4 1/2 hours run time on High (~600+ lumens). Cool to the touch on a 85F degree night.
    2 day build with a basic tools (i.e. hacksaw, file, vise, and drill). Total cost (w/ battery) is about $120. Once the XP-G comes out it can be built to push 1000+ lumens.
    If I can figure our my Nikon D80, I will post a Beam Shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I like it, looks nice and small although I have no idea of the size of a quarter dollar, maybe about the same as a 20p coin

You mention that the light stays nice and cool when riding but does it get very hot when left on in still air?

mtbr member
    It got warm if I stopped for a bit, but putting it on low seemed to prevent much heat built up.

And it is closer to a 10p . I'll break out my coin collection from 40 or so countries and post up a new photo.

Members who have read this thread: 0