Question - How to join two battery packs with Tamiya connectors? Thanks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Idea! Question - How to join two battery packs with Tamiya connectors? Thanks

Hi there.

I'm starting a lights project and am using two 7.2V battery packs to power a pair of lamps. I need to know how to connect the two batteries' Tamiya outputs to make a single output to run up to where I will split the output to the lamps. I have asked at an RC store for an adapter but they do not make them as they do not run RC models at 14.4V.

I need to retain the Tamiya connectors as these are also the connectors used by my charger.

Obviously it cannot be a permenant attachment due to charging needs.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. As always diagrams/pictures are great if available.

Cheers,
    Davo

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Dave,

In order to get the battery to output 14.4V you need to run the batteries in series. In order to do this you must connect the positive side of one battery to the negative side of the other battery. To do this you are going to have to make yourself a special adaptor out of the Tamiya plugs. I suggest you go to your local hobby shop or ebay and purchase some plugs. You are going to need two plugs that fit into the battery pack and one plug that is the same as the battery pack.

See the rough diagram below

By the way I dont think your charger will let you charge like this, you must seperate them first.

I've just re-read your post, when you say you want to split the outputs to the lamps do you mean you want to split it back to 7.2V or do you want two outputs at 14.4V? if it is the former do not do this, run two wires up to the lights.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Thanks very much for your advice and diagram. I hope you didn't prepare that just for me! I understand the idea of joining in series now. Brilliant.

I do intend on running 14.4v at the lights as you assumed.

Thanks again for your time. For now that answers my question, although don't rule out further posts as I progress!

Cheers
    Davo

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    No problems at all, thats what these forums are here for.

Another thing, when you join your packs in this manner you end up with the same overall capacity i.e. if both your packs are 7.2V 2800mAH packs you end up with a 14.4v 2800mAH pack.

If you were to join them in parallel you would get a 7.2V 5600mAh battery. (that is positive to positive, negative to negative.)

Good luck.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    And as obvious as it may be, remember to always start off with both packs fully charged and don’t just recharge a single pack to get yourself out on the bike.

For a long life you will want to treat these two packs as a single pack as much as possible.

Welcome to the GPS and Lighting Board Dave!

Cheers, Dave.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the hint re. the packs. Treating them as one unit is a good point that a couple of friends have now made.

Thanks for the welcome too! I'll no doubt be a frequent poster of punterish questions about simple things.

Davo

mtbr member
    It's good advice to use a fuse in the blue wire.
    This way the packs and your wiring are protected as soon as you use the Y-cable.
    5 Amps should be enough for halogen bulbs, 2 Amps for leds.
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

Members who have read this thread: 0