Question for the DIY experts (yes, you :) )- Mtbr.com
    my body breaks the falls

Question for the DIY experts (yes, you :) )

So all my goodies finally arrived so I can start building some of the ideas I've got in my head after seeing all of yours. Up until now I've been running a triple TR-801 on the bars and it works adequately, but I long for more output and something in a single unit I can easily remove.
    I plan a dual head spot for the helmet and a triple flood for the bars. I may reverse the optics or mix them up a bit as I fine tune the setup.
    I have a bunch of aluminum rods, brackets, heat sinks, etc as well as multiple circuit boards and optics for the Cree XRE-R2's I bought. I'll power them with the turboferret dual and quad battery holders I purchased. In my proof of concept testing I keep running into thermal issues with the boards when pushing them. Is this simply a matter of me hitting the voltage maximums, or do they also need to be heatsinked? Is it safe to assume that staying within the voltage specs will keep them within thermal limits as well? In some tests I can force them to shut down (thermally protected) and other times they are just really darn hot. Is this just what one gets with a $2 board compared to a higher-end? Any recommendations for running the R2's?
    Sorry for all the questions - lots of parts and beer in the garage today

Obligatory pics:

$500 million for more irresponsible EBRPD land management? No thanks.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

One Gear
    More heatsink. That little piece of aluminum is going to heat up to fast to do you any good. The advantage of some of the more expensive drivers is that you only need one. That makes the light a little easier to build up.

Good luck

my body breaks the falls
    That's just my proof of concept. The actual mounting has more aluminum, but only the LEDs are mounted to it.
    www.noonmeasureww.org

Lets RIDE!
    What driver boards are you using? The popular DX 3256 drivers are known to get hot (and less efficient) above 6v, even though the specs say they can go to 9v.

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

my body breaks the falls
    Quote Originally Posted by JimZinVT
    What driver boards are you using?
    JZ
    All of them I have an issue with commitment, so I have some of each:
    4382, 6190, 7425 and the 3256
    I also have a BuckPuck 3023 I'm playing with.
    Being a novice at this stuff I fully expect to burn up a few parts (and already have) in the name of learning. So far, though, I have three very functional prototypes I expect to move into housings this weekend.
    I wonder if I went about this backwards. It seems many use the battery as the criteria for what lights and driver to use. I just figured I could build a battery to suit almost any configuration. Maybe I was/am naive... to use one of my favorite phrases from work, "What's the worst that could happen?"
    www.noonmeasureww.org

Members who have read this thread: 0