Preparing to charge my first Li-ion battery, Tips?- Mtbr.com
    shining bright

Preparing to charge my first Li-ion battery, Tips?

I have two brand new batteries here from All-Battery. They are both 14.8V 2600mAh packs, and they have four 18650 cells in them to make up the packs.

They are like the ones in this link:

http://www.all-battery.com/li-ion186...bareleads.aspx

I also picked up the recommended charger:

http://www.all-battery.com/universal...v1-4cells.aspx

After reading the thread last night about the person who had one with the polarity reversed, I want to be sure everything is ok with mine before I charge them. I was also hoping to get some tips. I guess this will be the firsst time both are charged. Do I need to charge them completely on the first charge or half way up or what?

I already read about how dangerous they are and all that jazz. I will put them in a safe area. I just want to be sure everything is correct before I hook them up. I have a multimeter, but I'm not sure how to figure out if the polarity is correct. I know that if it is reversed the voltage will read - (neg), but they must be completely discharged with nothing in them at all. I don't get any reading at all.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    They shouldn't have been shipped flat of charge to you. That's odd.
    Just make sure your polarity is correct and charge them up. Charge them to full or at least one of them if you plan to ride any time soon.
    Phones, computers, most things these days are using some form of Lithium batteries.
    Probably more gasoline and propane explosions/injuries per year than battery explosions.
    Charge in a safe area and don't abuse the batteries and you will be fine.
    I have only had one battery ever vent on me, and that was one of those "Safe" Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4).
    Murphy's Law man. Plus I blew a link on my chain during this morning rides. I carry a quick link so was good to go in about 2 minutes.
    Plan for the catastrophy but hope for the best.
    Works well in life and dealing with and Lithium battery.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I charge mine in an empty ammunition container.

Just a flesh wound
    No voltage? Something is not connected. or they are toast.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Ripmo now.

shining bright
    I don't know what the deal was. I stuck one of the packs on the charger and it lit up red like "charging". I let it sit for about a minute and measured the voltage and it read 14.8 +/-.

Everything seems fine now. Like odtexas said, it was odd, but I do believe they just had no charge at all. One of the packs is charging now and seems fine.

Do It Yourself
    Zero volt reading is actually fairly common on new packs with the protection circuits. Needs to be put on the charger for a minute to reset itself.
    Long Live Long Rides

Members who have read this thread: 0