preferred 18650 cells?- Mtbr.com
    RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

preferred 18650 cells?

hey guys, I cracked open my 4-cell DiNotte battery pack and found 4 lime green batteries with MOLI ICR-18650H stamped on the side. figured I'd try my hand at rebuilding this pack as a fun side project. What are the best batteries & where should I buy them?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    hey guys, I cracked open my 4-cell DiNotte battery pack and found 4 lime green batteries with MOLI ICR-18650H stamped on the side. figured I'd try my hand at rebuilding this pack as a fun side project. What are the best batteries & where should I buy them?
    http://www.best18650battery.com

RAKC
    Hard to say a "best" depends on the purpose, what you want to spend etc.

Right now the highest performing cell is one thats not even on the site he linked yet:

Panasonic/Sanyo (same company now) NCR18650GA. 3500mah and 10A continuous discharge. Very low resistance cell, so normal bike light useage its the best of the best for voltage sag vs run time. Get best of both worlds since you dont need more than 3amps anyway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    As Tigris said, it depends. Anyway, any of known brand (Panasonic, Sanyo, LG, Samsung, Sony) will do for most situations with low to medium power lights. On high power lights (> 20W) you need to think more about to which cells has higher voltage curve, current, capacity...

So you should ask yourself for what lights (power) would you use batteries now and in the near future.

PS. You can try and partly go also this route: http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...gb-982688.html

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    thanks all. at this time I'm not educated enough to modify, so my intention is to play it safe and replace what was there. I'm nervous to buy the wrong cells and start a fire on the charger, or fry my light.

the battery case says "7.4V 4400mAh 32.56Wh". that would appear to indicate 1100mah/cell. is it safe to go with a 3500mah/cell replacements? I had no problem with the performance of the existing pack. maybe I should get a lower mAh rated battery for less money? sorry for the elementary questions, I really appreciate the expertise!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    How does your pack case looks like?

Otherwise pack is set in a 2Serial and 2 Paralell which show you have 2200mAh cells. Capacity is counted in paralell and voltage in serial.

It is perfectly safe to go with any capacity 18650 cells you can get. Just don't make some long lasting short. Brief short doesn't harm the cells.

For the first steps cheaper Samsung 26F are perferct price/performance solution.

If you want to learn follow the Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University