Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

pre-made battery pack vs. battery cell holders

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  sdnative 
#1 ·
I have been following some threads on pre-made battery packs vs. battery cell holders and individual 18650 cells. It seems like the main advantage is being able to easily replace bad cells in a battery holder as opposed to disassembling a pack to replace a bad cell. The prices seem pretty compatible if you consider equal quality of the individual cells. Personally I have not had a battery pack fail, but I haven't had a bunch of lights. My current amoeba clone is being powered by a batteryspace battery pack.
Any advice on whether to get another batteryspace pack or some cell holders and individual 18650s for my next light? Thanks.

#2 ·
You hit on one of the reasons that I use holders. It easy to deal with a flaky cell. For me a couple other reasons.

I have 3 different voltages that are used with my current group of lights. I don't need multiple chargers, or a fancy charger with adjustable settings.

On my bar light I have the option of loading the holder with 4 cells for average length rides ( 2+ hours on high) and save some weight. 8 cells go in it for 4.5+ hours on high (I've never done that long a night ride) at the penalty of more weight.

#3 ·
General flexibility has also been a benefit for me, as have lots of led toys. Also, li-Ion's die over time so best to interchange and mix cells regularily rather than have "extra" idle pack sitting around; overall cell life is a mix of storage condition and power cycling. Plus you can get 18650 cells so cheap from overseas. Vanc hit the nail on the head otherwise!

#5 ·
Andy13 said:
sdnative - what cheap overseas cells do you recommend?
TIA.
Cheap cells are the problem not the solution. A battery pack built with quality matched cells from a good source is the best solution. Decent cells start around $7 and then a couple of bucks for PCB. Get tabbed cells for easy soldering. You can find cheaper but you won't find better.

#6 ·
Agree, "Cheap" cells ARE a problem ...but not all of the "inexpensive" cells are cheap china junk. If you search around for 18650 reviews on mtbr & cpf.com you will hone in on what cells are the best deal for the money. It's been quite a while since I've bought cells honestly, so a bit outta the current "best" . www.dealextreme.com is a cheap source, but choose wisely as yes some are junk.

Cells change over time, matched doesn't truly exist. Getting the cells charged and discharging evenly is more important, but this is a discussion for sure that this thread isn't about. ~C

"were just, a minor threat ..."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.