Planning... Planning- Mtbr.com
    Team Awesome

Planning... Planning

hello Fellas:

I have been kicking around the WWW the past couple of days, kinda obsessing about building some lights. My "plan" is to build two XML lights in the Easy2Led 20mm Housing, using the TaskLed Lflex.

For batteries, I'm planning on using one of these:

All-Battery.com: Tenergy Li-Ion 18650 3.7V 7800mAh Rechargeable Battery Module w/ PCB

for the headlamp, and one of these:

All-Battery.com: AT: Tenergy Li-Ion 18650 3.7V 5200mAh Stick Rechargeable Battery Module w/ 22AWG Bare Leads

for the bars.

So my shopping list is:

From: Easy2led.com 2 Easy2Led 20mm housings, 2 of the pushbutton Switches, and one pack of cable Glands.

From: LedSupply.com - 2 XML Cool White Led's, one Medium Carclo Frosted and one Narrow Carclo Frosted Spot

Additional: Two set it and forget it handlebar mounts. I want to be able to simply screw the light in on both my road and mountain bike, velcro the battery to the frame, and go. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for your help on these projects.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Sounds like you have it mostly under control.

For the bar mounts, have you considered using gopro mounts ? ie go small with camera adaptor or go big with camera adaptor, remove the tripod bolt & replace it with an M4 bolt. I have only just started using the ABS adaptor, so can't comment on long term durability.

For guaranteed durability, an all aluminium set up would be 2 aluminium adaptors from vancbiker & go small or go big

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Optics are cheap. Get a couple of each so you can swap them around to get the beam you like the best. I have always found Carclo optics give a very wide beam even in what they call a "spot".

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    To kind of second vancbiker's post...

I would encourage you to buy all narrow optics. I have been very surprised on just how wide they are and the wide may leave you wanting in distance if it is not combined with a narrow (ie 2 LEDs on your bars). I run a plain tight Carlco and a medium Carlco on my dual LED bar light and it is great, but just the medium would make me want more throw.
    2018 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey Ops (commuter, gravel, fun))

mtbr member
    If you are using an XML and an optic, you need to put the LED and optic in the deep end, which means the shallow end has to house the switch and driver.
    You will need the extension back caps to make more room.
    You may also consider a 6800maH battery pack for the helmet from Hunk Lee on eBay, which is 2/3 the weight of the Turnigy.

See if this link works:
    Panasonic 3 7V 6800mAh LI ION Battery 2 NCR18650B Cells Connected IN 1S2P W PCM | eBay

Don't forget your thermal paste, and also your Loctite thread sealant for waterproofing the screw-on bits.

Not to confuse matters, but if you want a better thrower for the helmet, get a triple XPE and Carclo narrow triple optic from Mtn Electronics. This will fit in the shallow end so stock back cap will work.

Team Awesome
    Well I have some LED's. Those stars are so little and cute. I ordered my housings, and now I have to get some wire, arctic thermal adhesive, etc. Oh and batteries and mounts and a charger.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    What are you thinking of using as a driver? I only ask as I'm considering a similar project but not sure which drivers to look at.

mtbr member
    I'd suggest an l-flex or Mobydrv. The l-flex is more reliable, but more complicated to program.

Team Awesome
    TaskLED l-flex is what I'm planning on using.