Paging DIY battery geeks. Re: L&M Arc HID replacement battery- Mtbr.com
    No, that's not phonetic

New question here. Paging DIY battery geeks. Re: L&M Arc HID replacement battery

Hey gents. My L&M Arc HID NiMH battery is down to holding about a 20 minute charge. Not good. L&M NiMH batterys sell for about $160 right now (new), but I would like to go with something a bit more generic and cheaper. Batteryspace.com has lots of L&M "compatible" battery options in Li-Ion that look nice.

I do not have a L&M Li-ion charger, only the older ones for NiMH. I have already torn my old L&M NiMH battery apart and am happy to scavenge any needed parts/plugs from it.

How do you suggest I proceed? If I cut the stock plug off the batteryspace unit and soldered my L&M plug on, how would I then charge the new battery since the BS charger does not have a L&M plug? Do I order a "trail-tech" plug for my Arc head unit and just move totally to the trail-tech plug system (I would only have to replace the plug on the light's head unit)? The L&M system uses 3 wires, the Trail Tech only 2. The white and the black in the L&M system seem to just join via a tiny bridge (thermal fuse?) inside the battery pack, so I assume I could just fuse them in the Trail Tech plug instead?

So this:

plus this:

where I solder the L&M light head to the bare wires on the BS plug.
    Last edited by tscheezy; 10-17-2008 at 12:08 PM.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    How are you going to house everything once its done? I'd keep the L&M connectors as they are very well designed and keep moisture out very well.

No, that's not phonetic
    I'd probably just pour some Aquaseal into the gaps in the shrink wrap the batteries come encased in. I would also probably just sew a little bag to strap to the bike, etc. or look at Walmart for a cheap little camera bag that fits the battery pack. I'm not too worried about moisture.

mtbr member
    BTW, I dare you to put that in your carry on and go through security.

not so super...
    It was suggested to me to try this one

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=2106

I'm in the same boat but I have the universal L&M charger. Just gotta figure out the 3 wire config so I can use my charger and not have to cut the light cord.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Ditto anyone know how this works and if you can use the LM charger on this battery is the extra pin a balance port?

No, that's not phonetic
    Seriously, no one out there gets off on this stuff? How have other folks migrated to 2-wire batteries with 3-wire light heads?

Beuller? Beuller? Anyone...?

banned
    Sep 2007
    Tscheezy, play it smart.... buy a bunch of chinese 1.2 V Ni MH batteries and make sure they have soldering tabs on them.... solder them up the same way... make sure the black wire connects to the bottom or - part of the battery, and make sure the red wire connects /solders to the + part of the other battery and solder the tabs the exact same way as the existing battery pack.

Just duplicate what you got, same amount of batteries, just see if you can get 2000 or 2200 or 2400 mah 1.2 volt NiMH batteries and be done with it.
    It's not rocket science, you already have a model to copy from.

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=222

Save yourself some money buying in bulk and split this with someone else that needs to build a battery pack also

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=64.

Members who have read this thread: 0