P7 Torch Questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

P7 Torch Questions

Just went on a night ride with a P7 torch (5 mode?) last saturday. The light on medium was good enough and the light on high was a lot brighter then the other 15 niteriders and Stella 180's, etc... on the ride that night. I didn't get to test run time because we only needed lights on the way back down.

I have a few questions though, I need a new handlebar mount. I'm currently using a Fenix handlebar mount which does an "OK" job. It's just that since it's the rotating style, there is a little bit of up and down movement when there are bumps. What's a good/decent handlebar mount for torches?

When the trail got REALLY rough, the torch would switch between modes (not shut off). Is there a fix for this? Faulty switch?

I need to mention that I was ridding on a steel rigid fork so things would have been rougher then the average ride. I also understand that these lights may have not been designed to be used in this purpose, but I'm just looking for more thought/inputs on this. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Strip of inner tube tied around and between the bars and torch works well if you can get it tight enough.

The flashing is possibly the batterys shacking around inside, check the back is on nice and tight failing that the springs aren't tight enough you need to do something to make the battery bigger.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd
    Strip of inner tube tied around and between the bars and torch works well if you can get it tight enough.

The flashing is possibly the batterys shacking around inside, check the back is on nice and tight failing that the springs aren't tight enough you need to do something to make the battery bigger.
    Thanks for the reply. The mount itself has a good clamping force on the handlebar as well as the light. It's just a design flaw I guess. Here is the mount I have: https://www.fenix-store.com/product_...roducts_id=388

Thanks for the tip on the battery moving around. I'll have to check that out.

Any other handlebar mounts you guys recommend?

Carbon8er
    The length and weight and of a flashlight with batteries makes it rough to keep it super rigid.
    short, squatty and lightweight is definately better, but you got what you got, right?

Not familiar with that mount you linked to.
    Does the mount itself wiggle around on the bars or is it the flashlight moving in the mount clamp?

The battery is moving around and making intermittent contact is why it switches modes.

External battery packs with soldered connections are the best you can do, but you are stuck with a flashlight configuration. May be a way to stuff something inside to keep movement to a minimum?

You can also try and stretch out the flashlight springs a bit to make a tigher battery connection.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yes, the torch was just a temporary solution until I found out exactly what I needed/wanted in a light. The torch itself did perform well. Only in the most roughest of combination of bumps/ruts did it switch modes (and again, this was on a rigid fork) at a decent speed (23mph clocked by GPS). I think the mount may have something to do with it. The way the mount works is it essentially is a mirror/duplicate of the other half. The portion that mounts to the bars is the same as the portion that mounts to the torch. Now put a swivel mechanism that lets you rotate 360 degrees and presto. It is this swivel mechanism that has play and causing the torch to move. As you said, the length/weight of the torch might have something to do with it as well but it really doesn't take much to get the mounts' swivel mechanism to replicate it by hand.

Again, I appreciate the tips with the spring. Are there any bar mounts you guys recommend?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My 1 torch used to on my road bike slightest pot hole, really annoying never on my MTB though due to forms and fat tyres ( got 2.0" tyres on the road bike though )

I've got a mount thats nice fits 2 torches, off www.chainreactioncycles.com / .co.uk no idea where to find it though mate got it for me.

Best survivability in a crash is my old inner tube trick though.

Members who have read this thread: 0