Oval optics- Mtbr.com

Thread: Oval optics

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Oval optics

I am making a 4 MC-E bike light with square Ledil optics.
    So it will be a mix of smooth spot, medium and oval optics.

Did anyone tried using oval lenses in a bike light?
    And how to install the optic holder on a star with wires?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    To mount the optics use a Dremel tool and grind away at the base of the optic to make space for the wires.

mtbr member
    Prise the optic out of its holder before using the Dremel ( I realised this too late! )
    I have used elliptical optics and they give a wide beam without illuminating the tree canopy, not sure how well they work with the already floody mce's... no harm in trying, can always swap it for another ss or rs

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Don't use the ovals, it's no use, even the medium beam optics have much of a spill. You can use 2 of RealSpot and 2SS and still get much spill. I tried one oval in mine along with twoSS and it's no good. Now i'm thinking of converting to two RS reflectors at the sides and one SS collimator optic in the middle.....

mtbr member
    I agree with Giant-lander.

dont waste your money on anything but the SS or RS .you will find plenty of flood with those .

Have a gander at my insane quad beamshots .
    if I were doing another which I am I will use 4 RS

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Oh well, it's too late - I already have 2 SS, 2 medium and 2 oval.
    So in the end I will try 2SS, 1 medium and 1 oval.

My initial idea was to "spread the lumens" without hotspots, like in a car headlight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Ditch the oval, i had the same idea with you and didn't listen to troutie's advise. then i had to unglue the oval, dremel out the remainings and place an SS in it's place.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Ditch the oval, i had the same idea with you and didn't listen to troutie's advise. then i had to unglue the oval, dremel out the remainings and place an SS in it's place.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Giant-Lander was it that bad or just useless? Did you make any beamshots? And how many LEDs you had in your lamp (mine will have 4)?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    As i wrote above, it was a 2 SS, 1 oval setup, total 3 MCE's. For me, bad is useless as it wastes your precious lumens! I have posted some pics on Deesta's thread but there is no separate pic for the oval. Can't you test it before fixing it to the housing???But i guess you could do that anyway, so if you're taking advices, just don't use it. Lol....

mtbr member
    The wide is 40deg which is too wide.

If you're running a tight beam(<10deg FWHM) it maybe makes sense. I've used wide filters in a few configurations. OPTX optics from ledsupply have a clip on 25 deg filter. Don't like it, take it off.

Members who have read this thread: 0